Jan. 14, 2014
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- IU Athletics had a fantastic fall semester and we're proud to share with you a number of highlights Hoosiers have achieved so far this year.
- Men's Cross Country won the Big Ten Championship for the first time since 1980 and snapped Wisconsin's 14 year winning streak in the event.
- 94 Fall student-athletes were named Academic All-Big Ten. That is most Fall Academic All-Big Ten honorees in IU Athletics history.
- A program record, 26 football players were named Academic All-Big Ten. Along with 24 honorees in 2011 and 22 in 2012, the Hoosiers set a three-year school mark with 72 award winners under head coach Kevin Wilson.
- Five-time NCAA Champion High Jumper Derek Drouin won the prestigious Bowerman Award which is the equivalent of the Heisman for Track and Field.
- Women's Soccer, under first year head coach Amy Berbary (Burr-Berry) set the program record for wins in a season, qualified for the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 2007, and beat DePaul in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.
- Men's Soccer won the Big Ten Tournament Championship.
- Women's Basketball got off to the best start in program history by going 13-0 in non-conference play. That record includes six true road games, a 2-0 record vs. the Big East, and a 1-0 record vs. the ACC. IU was the only Big Ten team to go undefeated in non-conference play. The Hoosiers cracked the nation's top 25 for the first time since 1993 and achieved the highest ranking (22nd) in school history.
- Wrestling is currently ranked in the top 25.
- Both Swimming and Diving programs are currently ranked in the nation's top 15.
- Baseball (who made last year's College World Series) is ranked 7th in the preseason polls and boasts four preseason All-Americans.
- IU is currently ranked 18th in the Learfield Director's Cup Standings.
- IU has a nearly insurmountable 4-1 lead over Purdue in the Governor's Cup Standings, a head-to-head competition between IU and Purdue across all sports.
Thank you, Varsity Club donors. You made these Hoosier Highlights possible! Your support creates opportunities for Hoosier athletes to excel and follow their dreams. Look for more Hoosier Highlights throughout the year!