June 21, 2012
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -
Indiana Baseball will welcome in 14 new players for the upcoming fall, including the recently-signed Brad Hartong - a JUCO All-American from Cypress College in California.
IUHoosiers.com tracked down all of the incoming Hoosiers this week and caught up with their accomplishments during their 2012 spring seasons. Here is the update:
EVAN BELL RHP/1B
Stilwell, Kan. Blue Valley H.S.
- The Kansas 5A Player of the Year
- Voted First Team All-Kansas first baseman
- Led Blue Valley High to the state championship game
- Batted .444 and drove in 24 runs
- Excelled on the mound as well, going 7-2 with a 2.18 ERA in 55 innings pitched
GARRET BROWN INF
Irvine, Calif. Beckman H.S.
- First Team All-California Interscholastic Federation
- Named the Pacific Coast League's MVP after leading Beckman High to a league title
- Team advanced to the California Interscholastic Federation semifinals
- Hit .420 with three homeruns, three doubles, two triples, 16 RBI, six steals and 25 runs scored
WILL COURSEN-CARR LHP/1B
Fort Wayne, Ind. Fort Wayne Southside H.S.
- Named the 2012 Gatorade Player of the Year for the state of Indiana
- Pitching: 10-1 record with 134 strikeouts, 21 walks and a 0.40 ERA in 13 appearances spanning 70 innings
- Batting: .488 average, 36 RBI, 12 doubles, a triple and four homeruns
- Earned his third all-conference selection as a senior
- Led Fort Wayne Southside High to its second ever sectional championship
SCOTT EFFROSS RHP
Twinsburg, Ohio Twinsburg H.S.
- A Mizuno All-Ohio selection
- Earned his second straight first team all-conference recognition in 2012
- Compiled an 8-1 record, 1.52 ERA and 60 strikeouts in 55.1 innings pitched
- Led Twinsburg High to a sectional championship
- Named to the All-Ohio Academic Team
BRAD HARTONG Catcher
ZACH HAYNES RHP
Los Alamitos, Calif. Los Alamitos H.S. Cypress College
- Will be a junior for the 2013 season
- Junior College All-American
- First Team All-Orange Empire Conference
- Voted as conference's Gold Glove catcher
- Threw out 26 of 32 attempted base stealers
- Hit .364 with 19 runs scored, nine RBI, seven doubles and 10 stolen bases in 38 games
- Did most of his damage in conference action; batting .389 with 11 runs scored, five RBI, six doubles and seven stolen bases in 21 games
Lexington, Ky. Lexington Catholic H.S.
- Improved his career pitching record to 15-0 after an 8-0 senior season
- Tossed 51.1 innings with a 0.95 ERA, three saves, 60 strikeouts and just 10 walks during senior campaign
- Hurled 13 innings of no-hit baseball during the 2012 postseason, leading Lexington Catholic High to a district championship
JAKE KELZER RHP/Swimmer
Bloomington, Ind. Bloomington H.S. South
- Earned All-Conference Indiana honors
- Named Bloomington South's Pitcher of the Year
CHRISTIAN MORRIS RHP/1B
Williston, Fla. Williston H.S.
- Led all high school players in the state of Florida with 11 homeruns and 45 runs driven in
- Hit at .376 clip while leading Williston High to a 25-4 record and a slot in the regional finals
KASEY RALSTON RHP/INF
Chaska, Minn. Holy Family Catholic H.S.
- A finalist for both Mr. Baseball and the Gatorade Player of the Year in the state of Minnesota
- Tossed a complete game two-hitter in the state championship game
- Dual player voted to the all-conference squad
- Pitching: posted an 0.87 ERA and 7-0 record in 52 innings pitched; added 93 strikeouts and limited the opposition to a .150 batting average against
- Batting: hit .340 with six homeruns, 27 RBI and a .662 slugging percentage
NICK RAMOS SS
Tampa Bay, Fla. Plant H.S.
- Switch-hitting shortstop was named the Defensive Player of the Year as a senior after earning Offensive Player of the Year following his junior campaign
- Compiled two district titles, one regional championship and a Florida state final four appearance in four years
- Hit a combined .429 for his club teams, the Tampa Panthers and All-American Prospects travel squad
KYLE RASMUSSEN RHP
Fresno, Calif. Clovis East H.S.
- Increased his career wins total to 21 during senior season
- Hurled 14 innings with 12 strikeouts and a 3.50 ERA in 2012
SULLY STADLER LHP/OF
Glenview, Ill. Glenbrook South H.S.
- Illinois High School Coaches Association first team all-state selection
- Conference Player of the Year
- Voted as a team captain
- Pitching: posted an 8-1 record with 70 strikeouts and a 1.79 ERA in 43 innings on the bump
- Started in centerfield when not pitching
- Batting: hit .424 with 22 RBI, 12 steals and a .481 on-base percentage
BRIAN WILHITE SS
Barrington, Ill. St. Viator H.S.
- Captained St. Viator High to its third straight regional title
- Named the Defensive Player of the Year
KENT WILLIAMS RHP
Noblesville, Ind. Noblesville H.S.
- Fanned 21 batters compared to just five walks in 22 innings pitched
- Led Noblesville High to an IHSAA sectional championship game