Men's Basketball

    Hoosiers Edged by Wolverines in OT, 72-66

    Go Hoosiers! Devan Dumes reacts after hitting a 3-pointer during the first half.
    Go Hoosiers!
    Devan Dumes reacts after hitting a 3-pointer during the first half.
    Go Hoosiers!

    Jan. 7, 2009

    Final Stats | Final Stats (PDF) |  Quotes |  Notes | Postgame Video I Photo Gallery

    BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- Michigan's Laval Lucas-Perry and Manny Harris combined for 35 points and both hit three-pointers in the final minute of regulation to help Michigan rally for a 72-66 overtime win in Assembly Hall.

    "It goes without saying it would have been a great win for this team," said IU Coach Tom Crean. "If we could have just closed this team out. But we just have to continue to learn what 40 minutes is all about. We have to continue to learn 40 minutes of great defensive intensity and pressure. We have to continue to rebound the ball better. There is a little laundry list of what we have to improve upon, but we are improving."

    In fact, the Hoosiers never trailed in the game until the extra period. After Michigan took a 6-5 lead in the first half, the Hoosiers went on an 18-2 run to build a 23-8 advantage. The Hoosiers would use outstanding shooting from three-point range in the first half (5 for 8) and built a 39-22 lead at halftime.

    "I thought we rebounded the ball and our defense and the crowd really helped us in the first half," said freshman Matt Roth.

    The Hoosiers, with four freshmen in the starting lineup, increased its lead to 44-24 on a short jumper by freshman Verdell Jones III with 18:26 to go.

    Michigan would cut the Indiana lead to 48-41 on a three-pointer by Stu Douglas with 11:58 to go. However, the Hoosiers got a layup by senior Kyle Taber and a three-pointer by Roth to boost the lead to 53-41 with 9:54 to go.

    Michigan's DeShawn Sims cut the lead to 55-51 with 3:27 to go, but Pritchard would hit a layup with 2:00 left to give IU a six-point edge. Junior Devan Dumes, who finished with a team-high 17 points hit a runner to make it 59-53 with just under a minute to go. After Michigan tied it with 25 seconds left on a triple by Lucas-Perry, IU had one chance to win the game in regulation, but Jones 15-footer from the left corner bounced off the rim.



    "We are just trying to stay focused on what is important," Crean said. "And the bottom line is that we did not guard nearly as well in the second half as we did in the first. We have to continue to learn to play the whole game, however long it is. And it begins on the defensive end. We are not going to get away from what our focus in practice is, which is defense and rebounding all the time."

    In overtime, Kelvin Grady gave Michigan its first lead with 3:57 to go with a long three and after Dumes made one of three free throws, Lucas-Perry would drill another triple and IU would get no closer than four points the rest of the way.

    Freshman Nick Williams had his second consecutive outstanding game with 14 points and seven rebounds and Jones added 13 and six assists. Roth had nine points and four boards and Pritchard also had nine points with nine boards.

    The Hoosiers will play their next two games on the road. Indiana will go to Illinois on Saturday and to Ohio State on Tuesday.

    "It is an unbelievably tough pill to swallow right now but they are going to have to learn real quick that you just have to turn right back around and get right back at it," concluded Crean.


      Check back soon
      Indiana Sports Properties