Postgame Notes - No. 20 Illinois at Indiana
Jan. 28, 2011
* Indiana held Illinois to 49 points, the Fighting Illini's lowest total of the season and the lowest total in the series since a 58-48 Hoosier victory on Feb. 14, 1976, in Bloomington. It is the second time this season the Hoosiers have held an opponent under 50 points (Wright State, 44) and the first time they have held a Big Ten opponent under 50 since a 65-43 win over Iowa on Jan. 23, 2008, in Assembly Hall. The last time Illinois scored under 50 points was a 38-33 loss to Penn State on Feb. 18, 2009, in Champaign.
* With the win, Indiana took an 83-82 lead in the all-time series and improved to 11-2 at Assembly Hall this season.
* The Hoosiers are 11-0 when leading with five minutes left in 2010-11. Indiana led 46-42 at the 5:00 mark against the Illini following a Jordan Hulls 3-point field goal.
* Indiana started and finished strong the contest strong. The Hoosiers scored the final six points after falling behind 49-46 with 2:44 remaining. IU opened the game on an 11-4 run in the first 3:39.
* The Hoosiers held Illinois to 32.2 percent from the floor, the Fighting Illini's second-lowest percentage of the season and the best defensive effort from the Hoosiers this season.
* Indiana hit 11-of-11 from the foul line in the ballgame, the first time it recorded a perfect mark from the line since Feb. 10, 2008, at Ohio State (7-of-7). The last time IU was perfect on 10-or-more attempts came the previous year in Columbus on Jan. 2, 2007 (11-of-11).
* Tonight marked the 10th time this season Indiana held an opponent under 40-percent shooting. IU owns a 9-1 record in those games.
* Indiana trailed 32-30 at halftime and outscored the Fighting Illini 22-17 in the second half. It marked IU's second win this season when trailing at halftime.
* The Fighting Illini held a 37-33 advantage on the glass. It was Indiana's first win this season when losing the battle on the boards. IU's last win while getting outrebounded came at Penn State on Jan. 21, 2010. The Hoosiers won 67-61 and were outrebounded 41-35.
* Indiana's last win over a ranked team came on Feb. 19, 2008, a 77-68 win over No. 14 Purdue in Bloomington. IU was ranked No. 15 at the time.
* The last time an unranked Indiana team defeated a ranked opponent was on Jan. 31, 2007, in Assembly Hall. The Hoosiers earned a 71-66 win over No. 2 Wisconsin.
* Tom Crean's last win over a ranked opponent was on March 13, 2008, an 89-79 triumph over No. 14 Notre Dame in the BIG EAST Tournament.
* Hulls matched a season high with 18 points on 6-of-9 shooting, including 4-of-5 from downtown. The sophomore played 35 minutes and added two rebounds, two assists and one steal. Hulls has scored in double figures 13 times this season, in eight of his last nine games and in 19 career games.
* Watford netted his 19th double-digit game of the year and the 41st of his career with 16 points. He pulled down five boards with one block and one steal in 35 minutes. Watford also hit 5-of-5 from the foul line, the 10th time he has been perfect from the charity stripe this season.
* Pritchard finished with four points and four rebounds, including the game-winning basket on a putback with :38 seconds remaining.
* Rivers stuffed the statsheet with six rebounds, three assists, three steals and a bucket in 32 minutes.
* Sheehey added six points and three rebounds in 20 minutes, while Victor Oladipo came off the bench with four points and two rebounds.
Check back soon