Postgame Notes - Indiana at Northwestern
Jan. 29, 2009
Indiana Postgame Notes
* The Hoosiers set a new season-high in free throw percentage in a single game by going 17-for-19 (.895) from the stripe against Northwestern. Freshman guard/forward Malik Story paced the Hoosiers by going 6-for-6 while Verdell Jones III was 4-for-4.
* Indiana also shared the ball extremely well against the Northwestern zone defense, dishing out 19 assists on 23 made field goals. The 19 helpers matches the season-high set against Lipscomb on Dec. 28.
* The 26 points from junior guard Devan Dumes is a season-high for Indiana this year. The previous high was 23 points by Tom Pritchard against Cornell on Nov. 30. Dumes also made nine field goals in the game, also the most in a game by a Hoosier this season, besting the eight that Nick Williams made against Cornell.
* The Hoosiers shot 50 percent from the floor for the night (23-for-46), the fourth time they have shot 50 percent or better in a game and the first time since Dec. 28 against Lipscomb in Assembly Hall. The only other time they shot over 50 percent in a game on the road came at the Maui Classic against Chaminade (.588; 30-for-51).
* The two teams were both on fire from behind the arc, as both team shot an identical 12-for-23 from beyond the arc.
* Yet another season-high that Dumes set against the Wildcats was three-point field goals made, as he poured in six triples which is two more than the four he had the last time out against Minnesota.
* In his last two games, Dumes is shooting a blistering 10-for-16 (.625) from behind the three-point arc in his last two games.
* Freshman guard Verdell Jones III dished out seven assists in the game to match the season-high for a Hoosier this season. It had been done two times prior with the last coming from Daniel Moore on Dec. 28 against Lipscomb.
* Freshman forward Tom Prichard pulled down 10 rebounds in the game, reaching double figures for the sixth time this season.
* Indiana started the game on a 12-3 run, thanks to three triples from Devan Dumes and on from Verdell Jones III. The Hoosiers also went on a 10-2 run late in the second half to draw within one point at 68-67.
* The Indiana bench came through in big way with at least 20 points for the second straight game. They posted 20 points against Northwestern after contributing 21 against Minnesota on Sunday.
* Yet another trend that the Hoosiers continued on Wednesday at Northwestern was its control of the rebounding battle against Big Ten teams. They outrebounded the Wildcats by 11 (30-19), making them the seventh straight conference opponent that they have outrebounded.
* As mentioned above, Devan Dumes set numerous season and career highs en route to his 26 points in 31 minutes. He was 9-for-16 overall from the floor and pulled down four rebounds. The Indianapolis product made three triples to start the game and get the Hoosiers out to a 12-3 lead.
* Senior forward Kyle Taber also contributed a tremendous all-around game. He scored four points, grabbed five rebounds, dished out four assists and had three steals.
* Freshman guard Verdell Jones III scored 14 points and handed out seven assists. His 14 points give him double-figures in the scoring column for the fourth time in the last six games.
* Matt Roth joined Dumes and Jones in double figures with 12 points of his own and all of them coming from behind the three-point line. His four made three's matches his season high after he drained four against IUPUI in the second game of the season.
* Freshman Malik Story score six points off the bench for Indiana, with all of them coming from the free throw line.
* Freshman Nick Williams scored four points to go along with an assist and a steal.
* In addition to his 10 rebounds, freshman forward Tom Pritchard scored seven points and handed out three assists.
* Freshman forward Broderick Lewis split his four free throws for his two points in six minutes of play.
* Freshman guard Daniel Moore had an assist and a steal in his nine minutes.
* Tijan Jobe played two minutes off the bench.
Check back soon