Feb. 28, 2012
Box Score |
Photo Gallery 1 |
Photo Gallery 2
vs. Michigan State
February 28, 2012
• With the win over No. 5 Michigan State, Indiana has three wins over teams ranked in the top five in the AP poll this season, marking the first time an IU team has accomplished that feat since 1975-76. It is the first time an IU team has defeated three top-five teams all in the regular season.
• Indiana is the first Big Ten team with three regular-season wins vs. the AP Top five since 1990-91 (Iowa) and is the second Big Ten team ever with three home wins vs. the AP Top five (1986-87 Michigan).
• The win breaks a six-game losing streak to the Spartans and is the first over MSU since a 80-61 win in Bloomington on Feb. 16, 2008.
• Indiana won, 70-55, outscoring a Big Ten team by 10 or more for the sixth time this season, with those wins coming over six different teams.
• IU had five players in double figures, marking the sixth time this season and the third time in Big Ten play that Indiana has put five or more in double figures.
• Indiana won the battle of the boards, 31-30, becoming just the fifth team this season to outrebound MSU. IU has outrebounded opponents 22 times this season and 13 times in Big Ten play.
• Indiana had 10 steals in the game, marking the sixth time this season and the first time in Big Ten play that IU has had 10-or-more takeaways.
• IU finished 19-of-22 from the free throw line. Indiana has shot 20 or more from the charity stripe 21 times this season. IU is 19-2 when shooting 20 or more from the line.
• Indiana had 14 second-chance points on nine offensive boards and kept the Spartans from scoring on offensive glass.
• IU had 41 points in the first half, marking the highest first-half total by an MSU opponent this season.
• Freshman Cody Zeller scored 18 points and added four rebounds, two steals and one block in 32 minutes. He finished 7-of-12 from the field and 4-of-5 from the free throw line. He has scored 10 or more 26 times this season.
• Junior Christian Watford recorded his 10th career double-double and the third this season. Watford scored 10 and added a career-high 14 rebounds, two steals, one assist and one block. Watford has scored 10 or more 66 times in his career and 19 times this season.
• Sophomore Victor Oladipo scored 13 points, including 11 in the first half. He added three rebounds and two steals and finished 3-of-6 from the field and 7-of-8 from the free throw line. He has scored 10 or more 28 times in his career and the 20th time this season. He has scored in double figures in seven straight games.
• Senior Verdell Jones III scored 12 points and added four rebounds, two assists and one steal in 24 minutes off the bench. Jones has 68 career double figures scoring outputs and 11 this season.
• Jones moved past Ted Kitchel into 23rd on the all-time IU scoring list with 1,340 points scored.
• Junior Jordan Hulls scored 10 points and added three steals, two rebounds and two assists in 30 minutes. Hulls has scored 10 or more 46 times in his career and 20 times this season.