Men's Basketball

    Hoosiers Survive OT Scare

    Go Hoosiers!
    Go Hoosiers!

    Go Hoosiers!

    November 7, 2003

    Bloomington, Ind. - Basketball fans came to Assembly Hall on Friday to get a first look at Mike Davis' Indiana Hoosiers. The fans got a longer look then expected, as the game went to overtime before Indiana was able to claim a 70-68 win.

    Marshall Strickland sunk a pair of free throws with the score tied and 3.6 seconds remaining in overtime to give Indiana the victory. A frantic dash and three-pointer by AIA's Ryan Sears missed its mark as time expired to put a cap on the victory.

    Athletes in Action led for the majority of the second half, opening up a lead as large as seven points to keep Indiana at arm's length.

    The Hoosiers did not reclaim the lead until Bracey Wright converted on a three-point play with 4:55 remaining in the game after a pair of thunderous blocked shots by Patrick Ewing, Jr. Wright finished with a team-high 18 points on 5-of-17 shooting from the field.

    Wright provided more fireworks when he went baseline and scored on a layup with 3:30 remaining to put IU up, 58-54. However, AIA's Joe Crispin (a former Penn State standout) answered with a three-pointer to narrow the lead to 58-57.

    After AIA's Donte Quinine converted on one of two free throws with just over two minutes left, the score was deadlocked at 58. Shawn Redhage then sunk a 16-foot jumper before Sean Kline answered with a layup to tie the score at 60 with 1:10 remaining.

    After a pair of defensive stands for each team, Sean Kline fouled Crispin with 22.1 seconds remaining. Crispin sunk both free throws to give AIA a 62-60 lead.

    Needing a score, Indiana then turned to Wright, who was fouled by Quinine while attempting a three pointer. Wright made the first, missed the second, then drained the third to tie the game and send it to overtime.

    The Hoosiers came out firing from distance early, putting up 16 three-point attempts in the first half alone. The tone was set early on, as four of Indiana's first seven shots came from three-point range. After halftime, however, the Hoosiers only attempted seven treys.

    Athletes in Action hung around in the first half as Indiana's perimeter game struggled to get into rhythm. The Hoosiers opened up a 10-point lead at 20-10, when Mike Roberts knocked down a three-pointer with 9:50 remaining. That lead proved to be the largest of the game for either team and lasted only 14 seconds, as Crispin answered with a layup on the other side of the court. The two teams went into the half separated by only three points, with IU leading, 30-27.

    The Hoosiers return to action when they host the Southeastern All-Stars at 7 p.m. on November 13 at Assembly Hall.




      Check back soon
      Indiana Sports Properties