Big Second Quarter Helps Hoosiers to Road Win

    Go Hoosiers! Josiah Sears had the first receiving touchdwon of his career against Western Michigan.
    Go Hoosiers!
    Josiah Sears had the first receiving touchdwon of his career against Western Michigan.
    Go Hoosiers!

    Sept. 9, 2007

    Box Score |  Notes

    BLOOMINGTON, Ind. - The Indiana football team scored 21 points in the second quarter to take a 24-point first half lead and hung on for a 37-27 win against Western Michigan at Waldo Stadium in Kalamazoo, Mich. Kellen Lewis connected with James Hardy for two touchdowns and found Josiah Sears for a third score to lead the Hoosier offense.

    Lewis finished the game with 221 yards passing and three touchdowns while accounting for 59 yards on the ground as well. The combination of Marcus Thigpen and Demetrius McCray accounted for 156 yards rushing while Western Michigan had just 30 yards on the ground for the game.

    Wide receiver James Hardy only had three receptions in the game, but two of them went for touchdowns. Hardy now has six receptions on the season and four have been for touchdowns.

    Indiana got on the board first on a 21-yard field goal by Austin Starr in the first quarter to give Indiana a 3-0 lead. Western Michigan responded with a 16-play drive that covered 80 yards and was capped off with a 6-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Tim Hiller to tight end Anthony Middleton.

    Indiana took a 10-7 lead on a 24-yard touchdown pass to Josiah Sears from Kellen Lewis, the first receiving touchdown of Sears' career. Indiana would not relinquish the lead for the rest of the game.

    The Broncos turned the ball over on each of their next five possessions and the Hoosiers took full advantage.

    Following an interception by safety Mitchell Evans that the Hoosiers were not able to take advantage of, Greg Brown forced a fumble from Western Michigan quarterback Tim Hiller. Indiana defensive lineman Greg Middleton scooped up the fumble and raced 44 yards for the touchdown to give IU a 10-point lead with 6:21 remaining in the first half.



    Another Bronco fumble led to Lewis' second touchdown pass of the night, a 10-yard connection to James Hardy to give Indiana a 24-7 lead. Mitchell Evans' second interception of the night gave the Hoosiers one more chance to put points on the board before the end of the first half. Indiana moved the ball all the way down to the WMU five yard line before a plethora of penalties eventually left the Hoosiers with a third and goal from the 11-yard line. Lewis found Hardy again for his second touchdown on the night, giving Indiana a 31-7 lead at the end of the first half.

    Western Michigan fumbled the ball on its first possession of the second half and the Hoosiers recovered on the 16-yard line. They would move the ball to the one yard line but were unable to punch it into the end zone and turned the ball over on downs.

    Austin Starr's second field goal of the night put the Hoosiers in front 34-7 but Starr's kickoff was returned 98 yards by Brandon West, trimming the IU lead to 34-14.

    Hiller found Jamarko Simmons for a 7-yard touchdown, after the Indiana offense received good field position around midfield following a 38-yard kickoff return from Marcus Thigpen. Starr's third field goal of the night, a career-long 48 yards, bumped the Indiana lead to 37-21.

    Following punts by both teams, Hiller found tight end Branden Ledbetter for a 27-yard touchdown in the back of the end zone. A failed two-point conversion attempt left the score 37-27.

    The Indiana defense kept the Broncos off the board the final 8:48 to move to 2-0 on the season while Western Michigan falls to 0-2.

    The Hoosiers will return to Memorial Stadium on Sept. 15 when they host Akron starting at noon.


      Check back soon
      Indiana Sports Properties