Kellen Lewis, Defense Too Much For Iowa, 38-20
Sept. 29, 2007
IOWA CITY, Iowa - The Indiana Hoosier football team picked up its first Big Ten win of the season at Iowa on Saturday, 38-20. The following are some notes from the game.
- Indiana has forced a turnover in 18 of its last 19 games.
- Indiana has had five sacks or more for the third time this season. The Hoosiers 23 sacks as of the first half is the most for the squad since they also had 23 in 1999.
- The Hoosiers 21-0 lead was their largest in a Big Ten road game since leading 19-0 at Illinois on November 6, 2004.
- The Hoosiers won for the fifth time in the last eight meetings against the Hawkeyes. The win gives the Hoosiers their first triumph in Iowa City since a 38-31 victory on October 23, 1999.
- Senior Josiah Sears had a career-high in receptions (7) and receiving yards (59).
- Junior James Hardy had his 10th career 100+-yard receiving effort in his career, tying a school record set by Ernie Jones from 1984-87. It is his third straight effort above the century mark in three seasons against the Hawkeyes. He had 203 in 205 and 104 a season ago.
- Sophomore Kellen Lewis threw for 323 yards, the second time he has surpassed 300 yards passing in his career.
- Sophomore Jamie Kirlew had 3 ½ sacks, a career-high. He now has six for his career.
- As a team, Indiana recorded nine sacks, the most since posting nine at Northwestern on Oct. 10, 1992.
- In five games this season, the Hoosiers have not allowed a point on an opening drive.
- Sophomore defensive end Greg Middleton had his sixth sack of the season and of his career.
- On special teams, senior Tracy Porter had his first fumble recovery of the season and second of his career. With three interceptions this season, it is the fourth turnover that Porter has been involved in this season.
- Sophomore Will Patterson forced the fumble on the punt return, his second of the season and third of his career.
- Sophomore Kellen Lewis connected with junior James Hardy for a 38-yard TD strike. It marks the sixth straight game that Hardy scored a reception TD, tying the school record that he had previously tied in 2005 and shares with Jade Butcher (1967-69). - Hardy has seven scores this season. For Lewis, it was his 26th career TD toss and 12th this season.
- The Hoosiers have given up just 20 points in five games this season in the first quarter.
- Lewis hit sophomore wide receiver Ray Fisher for a four-yard TD toss. It was Fisher¹s second TD grab of the season. For Lewis, he tied Dave Schnell for fifth place on the IU all-time TD pass list with 27. Lewis now has eight multi-TD passing games in 14 career starts.
- Porter snuffed out some Hawkeye trickeration by recording his first career sack on an Iowa flea flicker.
- Lewis recovered a fumble by Josiah Sears and rambled 71-yards for a TD. It is the third longest in school history and longest ever for an offensive player for the Hoosiers.
- Senior Leslie Majors had his first interception of the year and second of his career.
- Junior Austin Starr nailed a 46-yard field goal at the start of the fourth quarter, the second longest of his career. He also had a 46-yarder against Iowa last year. He has made eight of nine this season and 20 of 24. He is four of four from 40 yards or more in his career.
Check back soon