Score Six with Will Matte
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. - Will Matte made his 34th career start against Indiana State. The fifth-year senior center served as a game captain in the Hoosiers season-opening victory.
Matte sat down with IUHoosiers.com for a quick Q&A:
1. What advice do you have for the freshmen entering their first season of college football?
"It goes by fast. You have to go out there and have fun, be physical, because it really goes by in the blink of an eye."
2. Emotions going into your final season at IU?
"It's amazing, really, everything the other seniors and I have gone through. I'm just excited I'm here and given the chance to play one more year."
3. As an offensive lineman, you have to like the running back depth this season, right?
"That's exactly what I've been thinking all camp. It's amazing how many quality guys we have back there. Tevin (Coleman) has done a great job as a freshman, and it's created competition. I truly trust all of those guys back there."
4. Fast forward a few months, what will you miss most about Bloomington, Indiana?
"Honestly, my teammates. Especially the offensive line guys, having a great time with them in the locker room and outside in our normal lives. Really going to miss that camaraderie."
5. Post-football career plans?
"I'd like to eventually become a high school teacher and be an offensive line coach. I'd also like to work somewhere around Chicago. That would be nice."
6. If you could play any other Division-I sport, what would it be and why?
"Oh man, that's tough. I think I'd go baseball though just because that was my number one sport growing up until high school. I thought I was pretty good at it (laughing). I'd say baseball." [editor's note: Will played third base and pitched]
Check back soon