Men's Soccer

    Indiana, Butler Play to 0-0 Tie

    Go Hoosiers! Goalkeeper Luis Soffner picked up his first shutout of the spring season.
    Go Hoosiers!
    Goalkeeper Luis Soffner picked up his first shutout of the spring season.
    Go Hoosiers!

    April 6, 2012

    Box Score

    BLOOMINGTON, Ind. - The Indiana men's soccer team had a decisive 16-5 advantage in shot attempts but could not find the back of the net in a spring match against the Butler Bulldogs as the two played to a 0-0 tie in 90 minutes of action Friday night on Jerry Yeagley Field at Armstrong Stadium.

    The Hoosiers are now 1-1-1 on the season.

    "In the first half we were a little bit off in our passing," said head coach Todd Yeagley. "That happens and we need to have other people pick up the slack. I thought we limited Butler, and tonight was a lot of defensive focus after last week.

    "So I was pleased on the defensive side. Our attack has been good in training and in these matches. Tonight we were just a little bit slow in recognizing opportunities and were a little slow to get in the box when we needed to make plays and be aggressive."

    After last week's 5-3 loss to Bradley, defense was the focus for the week and it showed on the field Friday. IU goalkeeper Luis Soffner was never tested in front of his net, tallying just three saves on Butler's five shots in the match. The Hoosier back line of Patrick Doody, Eriq Zavaleta, Caleb Konstanski and Matt McKain was also much more cohesive as the Bulldogs never got a good look.

    On the offensive end, midfielder A.J. Corrado led the Hoosiers with five shot attempts, while midfielder Harrison Petts added three. Forward Nikita Kotlov had two shots, both of which were on goal.

    "We created enough good chances," Yeagley said. "If we continue to create these quality looks, we are going to have good results. A lot of what we wanted to get done tonight we did, and each game in the spring we have a little bit of a focus and tonight was defensive awareness and tracking, and we did that well."



    It was a slow match to start with a total of three shot attempts over the first 15 minutes of play. The most dangerous chance of the night came with 16:20 to go in the first half as sub Kyle Sparks sent a shot off the left post. With just over nine minutes left in the first half, Kotlov raced through the middle of the field and got off an open shot that was saved by Butler goalkeeper Andy Holte. Jacob Bushue fired off an on-frame look from the top of the 18 in the 41st minute that was also saved by Holte.

    Butler went with goalkeeper Jon Dawson to start the second half and the Hoosiers tested him early. Petts ripped a shot just a minute in that forced Dawson to make a diving save to his left. Three minutes later it was Corrado unleashing a shot, this time taking Dawson to his left for the stop. Dawson finished with five saves in the second half.

    Indiana is back in action next Friday, April 13, as it plays host to Lindsey Wilson at 8 p.m. ET.


      Check back soon
      Indiana Sports Properties