Men's Soccer

    Hoosiers Fall to UCLA, 1-0 in Overtime

    Go Hoosiers!
    Go Hoosiers!

    Go Hoosiers!

    Sep 1, 2013

    Box Score |  Photo Gallery 

    BLOOMINGTON, Ind. - Despite playing a man up for the last 15 minutes of play and a penalty kick scoring opportunity, it was the ninth-ranked UCLA Bruins that netted a goal 49 seconds into overtime for a 1-0 victory over No. 1 Indiana Sunday in front of a record crowd of 7,720 fans at Bill Armstrong Stadium.

    The Hoosiers drop to 1-1 on the season, while UCLA improves to 1-0-1.

    After a second-half that was dominated by the Hoosiers, out-shooting the Bruins by a 9-3 margin, UCLA took advantage of a miscue in the back just 49 seconds into the first overtime period. Indiana goalkeeper Michael Soderlund came off his line to try and push the ball off the foot of a charging Victor Chavez but the ball did not move out of reach and Chavez danced around Soderlund for an open net goal at 90:49.

    Up to that point it had been all Hoosiers in the second half. Less than two minutes into the second period junior midfielder Dylan Mares crossed a ball in front of the UCLA net that senior midfielder Nikita Kotlov was just inches from getting his head on. Less than a minute later, freshman forward Tommy Thompson deftly crossed a ball along the touch line that UCLA goalkeeper Earl Edwards Jr. was able to scoop up just as Kotlov was arriving.

    In the 66th minute Thompson sent in a header that was only stopped by the foot of Joe Sofia as he covered the line. Four minutes later senior midfielder Harrison Petts got in on the act with a line-drive shot on the run that was just wide.

    With 18 minutes left in regulation, it looked as if the Hoosiers would get a chance to line up at the penalty spot when Thompson broke free and was taken down by Aaron Simmons in what appeared to be inside the penalty area. Simmons was shown a yellow card, and the ensuing shot from junior defender Patrick Doody on the free kick was blocked.

    In the 76th minute Indiana was awarded a penalty kick when Sofia took out Thompson in the box, resulting in a red card for Sofia. Mares took the PK attempt for the Hoosiers but his roller was saved by Edwards as he dove to his right.

    Now playing with a man advantage, the Hoosiers continued to make a run at the UCLA net. In the 81st minute senior midfielder A.J. Corrado played a ball through to Kotlov inside eight yards to the left of goal, but the senior got his foot caught on the ball and couldn't get a shot off.

    It was a low tally on the foul count with 13 for UCLA and six for IU, but four of UCLA's 13 fouls resulted in bookings with Nathan Smith (yellow), Javan Torre (yellow) Simmons and Sofia all getting their names in the referee's book.

    The two teams went into halftime scoreless with the Bruins holding a 9-4 shot advantage. Indiana's best first-half chance came in the 16th minute when Mares sent in a screamer from 20 yards out that required a leaping save from Edwards.

    Indiana is back in action this Friday as it hits the road for the first time to take on UAB in Birmingham, Ala. Game time is 8:30 p.m. ET. The Hoosiers are back at Armstrong Stadium on Sunday, Sept. 8 when they play host to West Virginia at 8 p.m. ET.

    All Tournament Team
    Nick Besler, Notre Dame
    Patrick Wall, Notre Dame
    Leon Brown, Notre Dame
    Andrew O'Malley, Notre Dame
    Brian Iloski, UCLA
    Jordan Vale, UCLA
    Victor Chavez, UCLA
    Tommy Thompson, Indiana
    Patrick Doody, Indiana
    Jaime Ibarra, SMU
    Damian Rosales, SMU




      Check back soon
      Indiana Sports Properties