Men's Soccer

    Hoosiers Lose Third Straight in OT, 5-4 to West Virginia

    Go Hoosiers!
    Go Hoosiers!

    Go Hoosiers!

    Sep 8, 2013

    Box Score |  Photo Gallery 

    BLOOMINGTON, Ind. - Down 3-1 early in the second half, the Indiana men's soccer team fought back to a 3-3 tie, then scored with seven minutes left in regulation to knot it at 4-4, but the West Virginia Mountaineers would come away with a 5-4, double-overtime victory Sunday night on Jerry Yeagley Field at Bill Armstrong Stadium.

    Indiana drops to 1-3 on the season, while West Virginia improves to 2-1-1.

    After the Mountaineers took a 1-0 lead in the 16th minute on a score from Majed Osman, the Hoosiers came back to tie it in the 33rd minute with Jacob Bushue's first goal of the year. The senior captain got an assist from fellow captain Harrison Petts as Petts took a free kick that Bushue headed home over West Virginia goalkeeper Lee Johnston.

    It only took the Mountaineers two minutes and nine seconds to go right back on top at 2-1 with Andy Bevin's shot to the near post in the 35th minute. West Virginia would enter halftime with its 2-1 lead and an 8-5 advantage in shot attempts.

    With less than 10 minutes gone in the second half West Virginia had extended its lead to 3-1 as Jay Williams deflected in a ball off what was intended as a shot attempt from Jamie Merriam.

    Petts got in on the scoring act with his first of the year in the 59th minute to make it a one-goal deficit at 3-2. This time it was Bushue setting up the score as he took the ball down the touchline before sending it into the box, where Petts one-timed it past Johnston.

    Tanner Thompson's first career goal came in the 72nd minute and made it a 3-all match. Dylan Mares, also picking up his first point as a Hoosier, tapped the ball to Thompson who slotted it home.

    The Hoosiers again were caught off-guard with a quick answer from West Virginia, as it went back up 4-3 two minutes and two seconds after the IU goal. Bevin's second score of the night for WVU came as Griffin Libhart crossed a ball into the box that Bevin was able to trap with his legs before taking the shot past IU goalkeeper Colin Webb.

    A true freshman, Webb was making his collegiate debut in goal for the injured Michael Soderlund.

    With less than 10 minutes to play it was Nikita Kotlov who brought Indiana to 4-all as Bushue picked up his second assist of the night. Much like his set-up of the Petts score, Bushue sent a low roller into the box that Kotlov shot past Johnston from 10 yards out.

    Indiana had several golden chances to end the game in the first 10-minute overtime period. Two minutes in Petts had a shot that just ticked wide left of the goal, and less than a minute later Tommy Thompson sent in a chip over the goalkeeper on a open net that rolled wide right.

    With two minutes to play, Bushue had a header saved by Johnston but no one clad in red was able to get to the ball for a rebound shot. With just over a minute left, a Tommy-to-Tanner Thompson setup had the elder brother's shot go high. Tommy had a chance with 13 seconds left on a shot that was blocked.

    Indiana thought it had the game-winning goal with 8:42 to play in the second OT period as Tommy Thompson's header found the back of the net, but the ball was judged to have gone off his hand first, nullifying the score.

    That kept the Mountaineers in the match and they took advantage in the 103rd minute when Ryan Cain hit a golazo as he turned from back to goal, hitting the upper 90 and leaving the Hoosiers staring in disbelief at yet another overtime loss.

    The Hoosiers finished with a 22-17 shot advantage, with 10 shots on frame. Webb tallied five saves in his first start, with Indiana also finishing with an 11-4 corner kick advantage.

    The Hoosiers continue a four-game home stand this Friday as it plays host to Bakersfield at 8 p.m. ET.




      Check back soon
      Indiana Sports Properties