Men's Soccer

    Hoosiers Draw Northwestern, 1-1, Fall Short in PKs

    Go Hoosiers! Alec Purdie paced the Hoosiers offensive attach with six shot attempts.
    Go Hoosiers!
    Alec Purdie paced the Hoosiers offensive attach with six shot attempts.
    Go Hoosiers!

    Nov. 11, 2011

    Box Score

    Box Score Get Acrobat Reader

    ANN ARBOR, Mich. - A game where the Hoosiers did not allow a goal by the Northwestern offense ended in a 1-1 tie, with Northwestern advancing 3-2 on penalty kicks in the semifinal round of the 2011 Big Ten Tournament Men's Soccer Tournament in Ann Arbor, Mich.

    Indiana is 12-3-5 on the season, while Northwestern is 10-4-5. The Hoosiers will now wait to hear their NCAA Tournament fate. The 48-team field will be announced on Monday, Nov. 14 at 4:30 p.m. ET on

    The Hoosiers were on their heels early as the Wildcats had an early pair of shots clang off the crossbar. Indiana's passing was not sharp, leading to several dangerous turnovers in the Northwestern offensive third.

    Indiana's first shot of the day came off the foot of Alec Purdie, whose shot from 20 yards out was wide left of the frame. Less than a minute later Kerel Bradford had an on-frame look that Northwestern goalkeeper Tyler Miller was forced to make a diving save to his right.

    That effort woke the Hoosiers up as freshman Eriq Zavaleta put Indiana up 1-0 in the 20th minute with his 10th goal of the season. Downing a ball from Tommy Meyer, Zavaleta turned his defender and took his shot across the goalmouth, hitting the lower left corner. That is assist number seven on the year for Meyer.

    Zavaleta's 10 goals gives Indiana a double-digit goal scorer in back-to-back years for the first time since 2004-05. Will Bruin led the Hoosiers with 18 in 2010.

    A throw from Nikita Kotlov in the 35th minute found Purdie in the box, but his shot was saved by Miller to keep the Hoosier lead at one goal. Meyer and Zavaleta had another idea to hook up late in the second half, but the Wildcats cut off Zavaleta's pass to a streaking Kotlov.

    Northwestern held an 8-7 advantage in the shot tally at the half but the Hoosiers had five shots on frame compared to just one for NU.

    Indiana was again faced with a relentless Northwestern offensive attack early in the second half, with goalkeeper Luis Soffner picking up three early saves. The Hoosiers also led the foul count 10-2 early in the second half, giving the Wildcats prime scoring opportunities on restarts.

    With less than 30 minutes to play in the second half, sophomore Harrison Petts took his run up the left side and brought Miller out of his goal, but his shot from an odd angle on a open net went high.

    In the 68th minute, junior Caleb Kontanski made a run forward from his defensive position, taking a shot that was blocked by the Wildcats. The rebound made its way to junior Tim Wylie whose shot was also blocked.

    With 20 minutes left in regulation, senior Chris Estridge took the ball of his marker's foot and made a run toward goal. His shot from 14 yards out was well taken but floated over the cross bar.

    Northwestern tied the match at 1-1 with 13:02 to play as a bad clearance by Tommy Meyer went off Soffner's head and resulted in an own goal.

    Two minutes later a cross into the box from Bradford found an open Konstanski. With the goalkeeper out of position, Konstanski had a sitter but blasted his shot high. With less than two minutes to play a shot from Nikita Kotlov won the Hoosiers a corner kick, but Estridge's shot on the rebound was also cleared.

    Kotlov fired the first shot in overtime, with his attempt saved by Miller. With under five to play, Zavaleta turned and took a shot that Miller dove to his right to save. Had the ball spilled out Purdie was waiting to take the rebound shot.

    Early in the second overtime a throw from Jamie Vollmer ping-ponged around in the box but no Hoosier could get his foot on it. Purdie also had an attempt, but it was easily saved by Miller, as the senior could not get enough power behind his curling attempt.

    Zavaleta also had a shot blocked in the second extra frame. With under two minutes to play, Kotlov found himself open on the end line but his shot across an empty goal skirted wide.

    Indiana found itself in a shootout situation for the first time since the 2007 season. That year the Hoosiers and Bradley went to a shootout in the NCAA Tournament second round, with Bradley advancing 5-4.

    Eriq Zavaleta took the first shot for the Hoosiers, with it saved by Miller. Reed Losee was good on his first shot. In round two, A.J. Corrado's penalty attempt was saved, while Northwestern's Chris Ritter sent his shot high. Meyer's shot was wide in round three, while Soffner saved Kyle Schickel's attempt. Round for saw both Jacob Bushue and Peter O'Neill connect on their attempts. Purdie's kick was good in round five, while Jarrett Baughman was high on his shot.

    In the sixth and final round, Harrison Petts had his shot saved, and Nick Gendron hit the back of the net to advance the Wildcats.

    Indiana finished with a 21-20 advantage in shots, with eight on goal looks compared to seven for Northwestern. IU had a 4-1 advantage in shots in the second overtime. Purdie led the way with six attempts, followed by four from Kotlov. Soffner had six saves between the pipes for the Hoosiers in 110 minutes of action




      Check back soon
      Indiana Sports Properties