Men's Soccer

    Hoosiers Top Wolverines 2-1 in OT

    Go Hoosiers! Tommy Thompson had a team-high five shots and assisted on the game-winning goal Wednesday night.
    Go Hoosiers!
    Tommy Thompson had a team-high five shots and assisted on the game-winning goal Wednesday night.
    Go Hoosiers!

    Nov. 13, 2013

    Box Score

    COLUMBUS, Ohio - A goal from Dylan Mares in the 96th minute kept the Indiana men's soccer season alive with a 2-1 win over Michigan in the quarterfinal round of the Big Ten Tournament Wednesday night at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium in Columbus, Ohio.

    The No. 5 seed Hoosiers (7-11-1) will face No. 1 seed Penn State (11-5-1) on Friday, Nov. 15 at noon ET. The game will be shown live on the Big Ten Network.

    Michigan (8-7-3) took a 1-0 lead in the 11th minute on a score from Ezekiel Harris off a cross in front of the goal mouth from Marcos Ugarte. The Hoosiers had several chances to get the ball out of danger in the 18 in the sequence but could not get the clearance they needed.

    Freshman Tommy Thompson checked into the match early in the first half for IU, marking his first appearance since a knee injury suffered in the match at Wisconsin on Oct. 11. Indiana's first shot of the match was in the 19th minute, a header from Nikita Kotlov right at U-M goalkeeper Adam Grinwis.

    A quick left-footed shot from Harrison Petts required a diving save from Grinwis, setting up an IU corner kick. A blocked shot from Femi Hollinger-Janzen gave IU a second corner but the Hoosiers were unable to string together a threat on the short corner attempt.

    In the 28th minute Thompson had an opportunity with the goalkeeper out but sent his shot from a sharp angle just wide of frame. With 12 minutes to play Thompson had another shot that required a leaping save from Grinwis, pushing the ball over the bar for an IU corner kick. The Hoosiers were unable to do anything with their fourth corner of the half.



    With less than two minutes to play Thompson chested the ball down and tried to lob it over Grinwis, who had come off his line, but the attempt sailed high. Indiana ended the half with an 8-4 advantage in shots, 4-1 on goal, but it was the goalkeeping of Grinwis that kept the Wolverines on top.

    A.J. Corrado tied the match in the 63rd minute with his third goal of the year, a screamer from 23 yards out that found the upper 90. The play began with a ball into the box that bounced off the face of Thompson and out to Corrado, who took his shot uncontested.

    Corrado took a free kick with under 19 minutes to play that found an open Kotlov on a run, but the senior headed the ball down right at Grinwis for the easy save. With 17 minutes to play Thompson broke free on a breakaway but with Grinwis off his line sent his shot wide left.

    Freshman goalkeeper Colin Webb, making his second-straight start, came up big for the Hoosiers with a diving stop to his right on a shot from Colin McAtee in the 75th minute. The Hoosiers controlled possession for the final 10 minutes of regulation but could not find the back of the net, heading to overtime for the seventh time this season.

    Indiana finally broke through with its first overtime win of the season on Mares' goal at 95:53. Thompson slotted the ball out wide to Mares, who took a nifty shot around Grinwis for his third goal of the season and second game winner.

    Indiana finished with a 15-11 advantage in shots, including the only shot taken in the OT period. Webb had four saves in his third start of the season, improving to 2-1 on the year between the pipes.


      Check back soon
      Indiana Sports Properties