Dec. 3, 2009
FEDERAL WAY, Wash. -
A select group of Indiana men's and women's swimmers took to the pool on day one of the U.S. Short Course Nationals at the Weyerhauser Aquatic Center in Federal Way, Wash.
The team of Ante Zoricic, Titus Knight, Tyler Shedron and Aaron Opell finished 10th in the 200-yard freestyle relay with a time of 1:24.17. The quartet qualified ninth in the morning prelims with a time of 1:23.94.
Sophomore Nikki White placed 10th in the women's 500-yard freestyle with a season-best time of 4:46.24. That is also an NCAA B cut. White was 14th in the morning swim with a time of 4:47.38.
On the men's side, Knight was 15th in 4:27.34. His prelim time of 4:26.69 is a season best and NCAA B qualifier. Shedron placed 23rd overall in 4:30.31. He was 21st-fastest in qualifying with a season-best time of 4:29.11.
Kate Fesenko was the top Hoosier in the 200-yard individual medley, finishing 15th in 2:00.81. She posted an NCAA B cut in the prelims with a season-best time of 1:59.65. Allysa Vavra was 22nd in 2:01.40, just three-tenths of a second off her morning swim of 2:01.37, which is an NCAA B cut. Donna Smailis was 26th in the prelims with a time of 2:02.33.
Opell represented Indiana in the C final of the 200-yard individual medley where he finished 23rd with a time of 1:51.40. His morning swim produced a season-best time of 1:49.78.
Zoricic finished 35th in the prelims of the 50-yard freestyle with a time of 20.87. He teamed with Opell, Shedron and Knight to take ninth in the 400-yard medley relay with a time of 3:19.65.
The night ended with the women's 400-yard medley relay with Fesenko, Brittany Barwegen, Smailis and White combining for a ninth-place finish.
Competition continues through Saturday.
200 Free Relay
10. Indiana (Zoricic, Knight, Shedron, Opell) - 1:24.17
500 freestyle (women)
10. Nikki White - 4:46.24 (4:47.38 prelim)
500 freestyle (men)
15. Titus Knight - 4:27.34 (4:26.69 prelim)
23. Tyler Shedron - 4:30.31 (4:29.11 prelim)
200 individual medley (women)
15. Kate Fesenko - 2:00.81 (1:59.65 prelim)
22. Allysa Vavra - 2:01.40 (2:01.37 prelim)
26. Donna Smailis - 2:02.33 (prelim)
200 individual medley (men)
23. Aaron Opell - 1:51.40 (1:49.78 prelim)
50 freestyle (men)
35. Ante Zoricic - 20.87 (prelim)
400 Medley Relay (men)
9. Indiana (Zoricic, Opell, Shedron, Knight) - 3:19.65
400 Medley Relay (women)
9. Indiana (Fesenko, Barwegen, Smailis, White) - 3:43.70