Feb. 26, 2011
Coming off his Big Ten title in the 100 backstroke sophomore Eric Ress will swim the championship final of the 200 back after putting up a time of 1:44.80 in the morning prelims. Doug Spraul finished 11th in 1:45.51 and will swim the consolation final. Austin Steel just missed out on consols with a time of 1:46.63, a career best and good for 18th. James Wells also recorded a career best, touching the wall in 1:48.49, good for 25th.
Senior Titus Knight snuck into the consolation final of the 100 freestyle with a season-best time of 44.37. Senior Ante Zoricic placed 21st in 44.44Senior Bryan Chovanec topped his career mark in the 100 free with a time of 44.89, finishing 26th. Sophomore Daniel Kanorr went a career best 44.58 to win his prelim race and place 29th overall.
Riding the wave of his win in the 100 breaststroke last night, Cody Miller lopped nearly four seconds off his career best in the prelims of the 200 breaststroke with a time of 1:55.87, good for second heading into tonight’s final. That is the fifth-fastest time in school history. Sophomore Sam Trahin finished more than three seconds faster than his previous career mark, posting a 1.58.34 to finish 12th and earn a spot in the consolation final. Brenden Butler went a season best 2:01.90 to finish 22nd.
Junior Tyler Shedron set a new career time of 1:46.10 and earned a spot as the top qualifier in the consolation final. Junior Cody Weik joins him in consols after he clocked a season-best time of 1:46.64 (14th), which is also an NCAA B cut. Sophomore Jim Barbiere just missed out on the consolation heat, finishing 18th in a season best 1:47.41. Sophomore Ryan Hinshaw tallied a career best of 1:49.46
5. Eric Ress – 1:44.80 (NCAA B Cut)
11. Doug Spraul – 1:45.51 (NCAA B Cut)
18. Austin Steel – 1:46.63 (career best)
25. James Wells – 1:48.49 (career best)
16. Titus Knight – 44.37 (NCAA B Cut; season best)
21. Ante Zoricic – 44.44
26. Daniel Kanorr – 44.58 (career best)
29. Bryan Chovanec – 44.89 (career best)
2. Cody Miller – 1:55.87 (NCAA B Cut; career best; 5th fastest in school history)
12. Sam Trahin – 1:58.34 (NCAA B Cut; career best)
22. Brenden Butler – 2:01.90 (season best)
9. Tyler Shedron – 1:46.10 (NCAA B Cut; career best)
14. Cody Weik – 1:46.64 (NCAA B Cut; season best)
18. Jim Barbiere – 1:47.41 (NCAA B Cut; season best)
27. Ryan Hinshaw – 1:49.46 (career best)