Feb. 28, 2013
Thursday Prelim Results
Update from day two prelims of the 2013 Big Ten Men's Swimming and Diving Championships at the Counsilman-Billingsley Aquatic Center in Bloomington.
Jim Barbiere will swim in the championship final of the 500 freestyle tonight after posting a time of 4:18.60, eighth-fastest in the mornings swims. Ryan Hinshaw finished tied for 10th at 4:19.62, putting him in the consolation final. Joining him is Nicholas Schwab, who killed his personal best with a time of 4:19.67, placing 12th and earning a spot in the consolation final. Brent Aarons was 26th in a career-best 4:26.33, while Grayson Smith also posted a career mark (4:26.52-27th). Ryan Downey was 35th (4:28.71), with Ian Boggs 37th (4:29.56-career best) and Michael Mohler 45th (4:31.38-career best).
200 Individual Medley
The Hoosiers put four swimmers in the championship final of the 200 IM, led by junior Cody Miller who posted a new school-record time of 1:43.49. That tops his old mark of 1:44.02 set at last year's NCAA Championships. Steve Schmuhl placed fourth with a career best of 1:44.12, and right behind him in fifth was Eric Ress at 1:44.16. Mike Hurley tied for seventh with his career mark of 1:45.09. Sam Trahin placed 17th to earn a spot in the bonus final (1:47.04), while Tanner Kurz was 23rd and will swim the bonus final with a career time of 1:48.68.
Daniel Kanorr will swim in the championship final of the 50 freestyle after putting up a career-best time of 19.50. That is just 5/100ths of a second off the school record of 19.45 set by Matt Lenton in 2009. James Wells made the bonus final with a career time of 20.18. while Jacob Kelzer tied for 43rd in a career best 20.72. Matt Gerth finished tied for 54th (20.94) and Kyle Johnson was 60th in a career-best 21.19.
8. Jim Barbiere - 4:18.60 (NCAA B Cut)
10. Ryan Hinshaw - 4:19.62 (NCAA B Cut)
12. Nicholas Schwab - 4:19.67 (NCAA B Cut; Career Best)
26. Brent Aarons - 4:26.33 (Career Best)
27. Grayson Smith - 4:26.52 (Career Best)
35. Ryan Downey - 4:28.71
37. Ian Boggs - 4:29.56 (Career Best)
45. Michael Mohler - 4:31.38 (Career Best)
200 Individual Medley
3. Cody Miller - 1:43.49 (NCAA A Cut; New School Record)
4. Steve Schmuhl - 1:44.12 (NCAA B Cut; 4th-fastest time in school history)
5. Eric Ress - 1:44.16 (NCAA B Cut, 5th-fastest time in school history)
T-7. Mike Hurley - 1:45.09 (NCAA B Cut; Career Best)
17. Sam Trahin - 1:47.04 (NCAA B Cut)
23. Tanner Kurz - 1:48.68 (NCAA B Cut; Career Best)
5. Daniel Kanorr - 19.50 (NCAA B Cut; 2nd-fastest time in school history)
19. James Wells - 20.18 (NCAA B Cut; Career Best)
T-43. Jacob Kelzer - 20.72 (Career Best)
T-53. Matt Gerth - 20.94
60. Kyle Johnson - 21.19 (Career Best)