Aug. 12, 2011
LOS ANGELES -
Indiana University junior Amy Cozad and 2010 graduate Amy Korthauer won their first USA Diving national title in the women's synchronized platform Thursday night at the AT&T National Diving Championships at UCLA.
Cozad and Korthauer tallied 295.92 points for the win, almost five points ahead of second-place finishers Jessica Parratto and Anna James.
"We did well, but we didn't hit everything the way we can," Korthauer said. "But, it feels good. I just had the same mindset as I did (Wednesday in individual 10-meter), and that was that I had two things to think about: stay tight and keep my feet together."
Junior Logan Kline and sophomore Kate Hillman finished fifth with a score of 219.90. In the men's competition, juniors Zac Nees and Mick Dell'Orco placed seventh (318.48), while sophomore Conor Murphy teamed with Tanner Wilfong for eighth (313.14).
In the women's 1-meter springboard competition, All-American Christina Loukas placed 12th with 241.45 points, while Kline was 14th (234.20). Hillman placed 17th (217.55) and senior Christina Kouklakis 30th (180.75).
In the preliminary round of the men's 3-meter springboard, Nees led the Hoosiers with a 19th-place finish (334.05). Sophomore Darian Schmidt was 27th (306.45) and recent graduate David Piercy 28th (304.10).
The men's synchronized 3-meter springboard preliminary rounds also took place earlier this week, with Schmidt and Dell'Orco finishing just out of the final round in seventh place (316.47). Junior Bryce Ogden and Nees were 14th (284.46), with Murphy teaming with Alec Back for 16th (281.19). Piercy and Jesse Rappaport finished 17th (262.32).
Women's Synchronized Platform
1. Amy Cozad / Amy Korthauer - 295.92 (276.30 prelims)
5. Logan Kline / Kate Hillman - 219.90 (237.42 prelims)
Men's Synchronized Platform
7. Zac Nees / Mick Dell'Orco - 318.48 prelims
8. Tanner Wilfong / Conor Murphy - 313.14 prelims
Women's 1-meter Springboard
12. Christina Loukas - 241.45 prelims
14. Logan Kline - 234.20 prelims
17. Kate Hillman - 217.55 prelims
30. Christina Kouklakis - 180.75 prelims
Men's 3-meter Springboard
19. Zac Nees - 334.05 prelims
27. Darian Schmidt - 306.45 prelims
28. David Piercy - 304.10 prelims
Men's 3-meter Synchronized Springboard
7. Darian Schmidt / Mick Dell'Orco - 316.47 prelims
14. Bryce Ogden / Zac Nees - 284.46 prelims
16. Alec Back / Conor Murphy - 281.19 prelims
17. David Piercy / Jesse Rappaport - 262.32 prelims