Hawkeyes Squeek by Indiana, 4-3
Feb. 2, 2008
IOWA CITY, Iowa - The Indiana University men's tennis team won the doubles point and a pair of singles matches in their Big Ten Opener at Iowa, but suffered their first loss of the season in a 4-3 heart-breaker.
Indiana opened the match by sweeping the doubles action, winning all three contests by an 8-5 score. Phillip Eilers and Dara McLoughlin manned the No. 1 doubles slot, taking out the Hawkeye tandem of Bart van Monsjou and J.P. Ritchie, who also play No. 1 and No. 2 singles for Iowa. The Hoosiers also received doubles victories from the Lachlan Ferguson/Thomas Richter and Peter Antons/Santiago Gruter combinations.
The Hoosiers found themselves in a 3-1 hole, however, after Iowa was able to win three singles matches in straight sets. Ferguson, playing No. 4 singles, continued his spring season hot streak by downing Reinoud Haal in a three-set battle, 7-5, 6-7, 6-2 to earn IU's second team point of the match.
The other two singles matches did not just go into a third set, extending to a third set tie-breaker. One went in favor of the Hoosiers, and one went the other way to give Iowa the 4-3 win. Richter had a marathon match at No. 2 singles, playing "extra" games in each set. He defeated Ritche, 6-7, 7-5, 7-6.
1. Bart van Monsjou (Iowa) def. Phillip Eilers (IU), 6-1, 6-2
2. Thomas Richter (IU) def. J.P. Ritchie (Iowa), 6-7, 7-5, 7-6
3. Christian Bierich (Iowa) def. Dara McLoughlin (IU), 6-3, 7-5
4. Lachlan Ferguson (IU) def. Reinoud Haal (Iowa), 7-5, 6-7, 6-2
5. Tommy McGeorge (Iowa) def. Santiago Gruter (IU), 6-4, 6-2
6. Gregory Holm (Iowa) def. Mike McCarthy (IU), 7-6, 2-6, 7-6
1. Eilers/McLoughlin (IU) def. Ritchie/van Monsjou (Iowa), 8-5
2. Richter/Ferguson (IU) def. Holm/Grimes (Iowa), 8-5
3. Gruter/Antons (IU) def. Haal/Dwyer (Iowa), 8-5
The Hoosiers return to the courts on Tuesday for a 4 p.m. home match versus Kentucky. Live match updates will be available for that match on the men's schedule page right here at iuhoosiers.com.
Check back soon