Hoosiers Fall at Purdue, 5-2
April 10, 2014
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. – The No. 69 Indiana men’s tennis team got off to a strong start, but couldn’t close out Purdue as the Hoosiers fell on the road at No. 36 Purdue 5-2 on Wednesday.
The No. 65 doubles team of sophomores Daniel Bednarczyk and Sam Monette, playing at the one spot for Indiana won 8-7 on an 8-6 tiebreak. After a Purdue win at No. 2 doubles, the team of sophomore Chris Essick and freshman Stefan Lugonjic defeated Purdue 8-7 (7-5) at No. 3 doubles to claim the doubles point.
The Hoosiers (13-14) and Boilermakers (14-3) each claimed a straight set victory in the first two singles matches, with Monette winning his match 6-1, 6-3.
The Hoosiers claimed first set victories in each of the four other singles matches and at that point held a 2-1 lead. Purdue would rally and force a third set in all four matches and eventually win each match to take the 5-2 victory.
Up next the Hoosiers will host their senior day match as they honor senior Dimitrije Tasic. The match against Penn State will take place on Sunday at 12:00 p.m.
#36 Purdue 5, #69 Indiana 2
1. Szymon Tatarczyk (PUR-M) def. Sven Lalic (IND-M) 2-6, 6-3, 6-4
2. #103 Sam Monette (IND-M) def. Ricky Medinilla (PUR-M) 6-1, 6-3
3. Mark Kovacs (PUR-M) def. Daniel Bednarczyk (IND-M) 6-7 (4-7), 6-1, 7-5
4. Aaron Dujovne (PUR-M) def. Dimitrije Tasic (IND-M) 3-6, 6-1, 6-3
5. Diego Acosta (PUR-M) def. Elliott Yee (IND-M) 3-6, 6-4, 7-6 (7-2)
6. Mateus Silva (PUR-M) def. Stefan Lugonjic (IND-M) 6-0, 6-1
1. #65 Daniel Bednarczyk/Sam Monette (IND-M) def. #74 Ricky Medinilla/Szymon Tatarczyk (PUR-M) 8-7 (8-6)
2. Aaron Dujovne/Diego Acosta (PUR-M) def. Dimitrije Tasic/Sven Lalic (IND-M) 8-5
3. Chris Essick/Stefan Lugonjic (IND-M) def. Mark Kovacs/Mateus Silva (PUR-M) 8-7 (7-5)
Check back soon