Hoosiers Edge Minnesota in Big Ten Tournament
April 24, 2014
EAST LANSING, Mich. – The No. 10 seed Indiana men’s tennis team earned a hard fought 4-3 victory over No. 7 seed Minnesota in the opening round of the Big Ten Tournament on Thursday.
The Hoosiers advance to the quarterfinals where they will meet No. 2 seed Illinois on Friday at 2:00 p.m.
Senior Dimitrije Tasic and junior Sven Lalich clinched the doubles point for the Hoosiers with an 8-3 win.
Tasic gave the Hoosiers a 2-0 lead with a 6-3, 6-3 win in singles. Minnesota came back to take a match at No. 5 singles to narrow the Hoosiers lead to 2-1.
Lalic captured a 6-4, 6-2 win at No. 2 singles, but Minnesota won two straight matches to even the score at 3-3.
The match came down to No. 6 singles, where freshman Matthew McCoy came through for the Hoosiers with a 7-6, 3-6, 7-6 win.
1. Leandro Toledo (MINN) def. Sam Monette (IND-M) 3-6, 6-4, 7-5
2. Sven Lalic (IND-M) def. Ruben Weber (MINN) 6-4, 6-2
3. Jack Hamburg (MINN) def. Daniel Bednarczyk (IND-M) 4-6, 6-4, 6-1
4. Dimitrije Tasic (IND-M) def. Mathieu Froment (MINN) 6-3, 6-3
5. Eric Frueh (MINN) def. Chris Essick (IND-M) 6-4, 6-4
6. Matthew McCoy (IND-M) def. Juan Pablo Ramirez (MINN) 7-6, 3-6, 7-6
1. Sam Monette/Daniel Bednarczyk (IND-M) def. Jack Hamburg/Mathieu Froment (MINN) 8-7
2. Sven Lalic/Dimitrije Tasic (IND-M) def. Leandro Toledo/Eric Frueh (MINN) 8-3
3. Franz Sydow/Juan Pablo Ramirez (MINN) def. Chris Essick/Stefan Lugonic (IND-M) 8-4
Check back soon