MEN SHUTOUT LOUISVILLE 7-0
February 12, 1999 MEN SHUTOUT LOUISVILLE 7-0
Bloomington, Ind.-The Hoosiers wont their second straight match with a 7-0 shutout win over Louisville today. The Hoosiers played strong in both singles and doubles which led to their victory.
The Hoosiers doubles teams continued their strong play with three wins. At No. 1, Gabriel Montilla and Rahman Smiley defeated Chris Steel and Kane Easter 9 8. At No. 2, Paul Jacobson and Milan Rakvica got by Alex Sivertsen 8-5. At No. 3, Ian Arons and Ricardo Jordan defeated Oliver Cantrell and Fabio Jesus 8-3.
Hoosiers singles were also on the top of their game winning all six matches. At. No. 1, Arons defeated Steel 6-1,6-3. At No. 2, Montilla continued his winning way with a victory over Cantrell 6-1,6-2. George McGill playing at the No. 3 position, pulled out a win over Jesus 6-2,6-4. At No. 4, Milan Rakvica looked dominate as he defeated Turtrko Kujendzic 6-2,6-1. At No. 5, jacobson cameback from down a set and losing 4-1 in the second to defeat Sivertsen 1-6,7-6,6-3. Rahman Smiley once again overpowered his opponent as he defeated Easter 6-4,6-2 at No. 6.
Coach Ken Hydinger, "I thought we played tight in the beginning, but the results ended in our favor. I thought that we played very well."
The Hoosiers will host interstate rivals Purdue on Sunday in the Hoosiers Big Ten opener. During the game the men's team will sponsor its DINNER WITH DOUBLES event. For $5 admission, spectators will be treated to all-you-can-eat Pizza Hut pizza, salad, pasta and breadsticks. Doubles play will start at 3 p.m., with the pizza being served at 4 p.m. Singles will follow the pizza. Between the doubles and singles there will also be a raffle were participants can win rackets, clothes and other gifts.
1. Ian Arons (IU) d. Chris Steel (UL) 6-1,6-3
2. Gabriel Montilla (IU) d. Oliver Cantrell (LU) 6-1,6-2
3. George McGill (IU) d. Fabio Jesus (LU) 6-2,6-4
4. Milan Rakvica (IU) d. Turtko Kujundvic (UL) 6-2,6-1
5. Paul Jacobson (IU) d. Alex Sivertsen (UL) 1-6,7-6,6-3
6. Rahman Smiley (IU) d. Kane Easter (UL) 6-4,6-2
1. Montilla/Jacobson (IU) d. Steel/Easter (UL) 9-8
2. Jacobson/Rakvica (IU) d. Sivertsen/Hazuan Hizan (UL) 8-5
3. Arons/Ricardo Jordan (IU) d. Cantrell/Jesus (UL) 8-3
Check back soon