Hoosiers Bounce Back With Win Over Ball State
February 18, 1999 Hoosiers Bounce Back With Win Over Ball State
Bloomington, Ind.-The Hoosiers men's tennis team bounced back from the Purdue loss with a 5-2 victory over Ball State today. The Hoosiers took four out of the six singles positions and took the lone doubles point.
The Hoosiers saw wins at the No. 2, No. 3, No. 5 and No. 6 positions. Gabriel Montilla defeated Andrew Seni 4-6,7-6,6-3. George McGill continued his strong play this season with a victory over Juan Fernandez 7-6,4-6,6-3. Paul Jacobson, improved his record to 5-0 in dual matches, by defeating Nick Vizzone 4-6,6-3,6-3. Rahman Smiley won a three-set match over Tim Smicek 6-4,5-7,7-4.
Indiana won the doubles point point by taking two of the three doubles matches. Milan Rakvica and Jacobson defeated Seni and Rafael Domench in a tie-breaker 9-8. Ian Arons and Ricardo Jordan were also victorious, by defeating Ryan Baxter and Vizzone 8-3.
The Hoosiers continue their season on Saturday with two home matches. The Hoosiers will take on Eastern Kentucky at 9 a.m. and Southern Illinois at 6 p.m. All matches will take place at the Indiana University Tennis Center.
1. Ryan Baxter (BSU) d. Ian Arons (IU) 6-3,6-3
2. Gabriel Montilla (IU) d. Andrew Seni (BSU) 4-6,7-6,6-3
3. George McGill (IU) d. Juan Fernandez (BSU) 7-6,4-6,6-3
4. Jason Pressel (BSU) d. Milan Rakvica (IU) 6-7,7-5,6-4
5. Paul Jacobson (IU) d. Nick Vizzone (BSU) 4-6,6-3,6-3
6. Rahman Smiley (IU) d. Tim Smicek (BSU) 6-4,5-7,6-4
1. Fernandez/Pressel (BSU) d. Montilla/Smiley (IU) 8-5
2. Rakvica/Jacobson (IU) d. Seni/Rafael Domench (BSU) 9-8
3. Arons/Ricardo Jordan (IU) d. Baxter/Vizzone (BSU) 8-3
Check back soon