Hoosiers Post Shutout Against Eastern Kentucky
February 20, 1999Hoosiers Post Shutout Against Eastern Kentucky
Bloomington, Ind.-The Indiana men's tennis team easily defeated Eastern Kentucky today 7-0. The Hoosiers lost just 13 singles games and eight doubles games.
Doubles started off the day for the Hoosiers and they went three-for-three in their matches. Gabriel Montilla and Rahman Smiley defeated Adam Doyle and Jamey Sellars 8-4. Ricardo Jordon and Ian Arons defeated Chad Williams and Mike Hornback 8-2. Ari Widlansky and George McGill knocked off Christian Lentz and Jason Crutchfield 8-2.
In singles the Hoosiers overmatched Eastern Kentucky. At No. 1, Arons defeated Doyle 6-1,6-0. Montilla, playing the No. 2 position, was victorious over Williams 6-1,6-4. At No.3, Milan Rakvica won easily over Sellars 6-1,6-0. At No. 4, Paul Jacobson defeated Hornback 6-3,6-2. Joey Balsiger defeated Lentz 6-0,6-2, at No. 5. At No. 6, Widlansky blanked Crutchfield 6-0,6-0.
Coach Ken Hydinger, "We were favored to win this match, and the players concentrated well and got the job done. Their No. 1 doubles team was good and they had already beaten Michigan's top team this year.
The Hoosiers will continue their season later on today as they will face Southern Illinois. The match will begin at 6 p.m. and take place at the Indiana University Tennis Center.
1. Ian Arons (IU) d. Adam Doyle (EKU) 6-1,6-0
2. Gabriel Montilla (IU) d. Chad Williams (EKU) 6-1,6-4
3. Milan Rakvica (IU) d. Jamey Sellars (EKU) 6-1,6-0
4. Paul Jacobson (IU) d. Mike Hornback (EKU) 6-3,6-2
5. Joey Balsiger (IU) d. Christian Lentz (EKU) 6-0,6-2
6. Ari Widlansky (IU) d. Jason Crutchfield (EKU) 6-0,6-0
1. Montilla/Smiley (IU) d. Doyle/Sellars (EKU) 8-4
2. Arons/Ricardo Jordan (IU) d. Williams/Hornback (EKU) 8-2
3. Widlansky/McGill (IU) d. Lentz/Crutchfield (EKU) 8-2
Check back soon