Bested by Ball State
MUNCIE, Ind. - The No. 55 Indiana men's team dropped a close 4-3 decision to No. 72 Ball State Thursday afternoon at the Muncie YMCA. The Hoosiers fall to 3-5 on the spring, while the Cardinals improve to 7-4.
The doubles competition got off to a good start for the Hoosiers, as the team of senior Jakub Praibis and junior Dmytro Ishtuganov, 54th in the nation, won 8-4 over junior Tony Epkey and senior Brad Rhodes at No. 2.
At the No. 3 doubles position, seniors Klint Knable and Paul Newman upended the freshman duo of Mike McCarthy and Dara McLoughlin by the margin of 8-6.
"The No. 3 doubles match came right down to the end," Hydinger said. "Ball State has some very good doubles teams. They can serve and volley and their return game is very good."
BSU claimed the doubles point as the 18th-ranked tandem of juniors Matt Baccarani and Patrick Thompson bested senior Ryan Recht and junior John Stone, 8-5, at the top spot.
Baccarani topped Praibis at the No. 1 position, 6-3, 6-1, and Newman scored Ball State's second singles point at the No. 3 singles position, downing Tom Bagnato 6-3, 6-4.
Epkey got the best of Recht in three sets, 3-6, 6-1, 6-3, at the No. 2 spot, for the final point to secure the match.
McCarthy won at No. 4, 6-1, 3-6, 7-6 (5), over Thompson, and sophomore David Bubenicek won at No. 5, 7-6 (6), 6-4, against senior Klint Knable.
"Michael brings a ton of heart into every match," said Hydinger. "David has good court sense. He can pass and lob. He is a very tough out.
Stone picked up a singles win at the No. 6 spot.
The Hoosiers will return to the courts this Sunday, Feb. 27, for a match with No. 17 Vanderbilt. The contest is slated to begin at 2 p.m. and will be held in the IU Varsity Tennis Center.
"We have Vanderbilt coming into town on Sunday," Hydinger said. "We need to get focused and come ready to play."
No. 72 Ball State 4, No. 55 Indiana 3
1. #18 Matt Baccarani/Patrick Thompson (BSU) def. Ryan Recht/John Stone (IU) 8-5
2. #54 Jakub Praibis/Dmytro Ishtuganov (IU) def. Tony Epkey/Brad Rhodes (BSU) 8-4
3. Klint Knable/Paul Newman (BSU) def. Mike McCarthy/Dara McLoughlin (IU) 8-6
1. Matt Baccarani (BSU) def. #100 Jakub Praibis (IU) 6-3, 6-1
2. Tony Epkey (BSU) def. Ryan Recht (IU) 3-6, 6-1, 6-3
3. Paul Newman (BSU) def. Tom Bagnato (IU) 6-3, 6-4
4. Mike McCarthy (IU) def. Patrick Thompson (BSU) 6-1, 3-6, 7-6 (5)
5. David Bubenicek (IU) def. Klint Knable (BSU) 7-6 (6), 6-4
6. John Stone (IU) def. Brad Rhodes (BSU) 6-4, 6-4
Check back soon