Hoosiers Complete Another Saturday Sweep
February 27, 1999 Hoosiers Complete Another Saturday Sweep
Bloomington, Ind.-The men's tennis team continued their winning ways with wins over DePaul and Murray State today. The Hoosiers improved their winning streak to seven. In the morning, the Hoosiers defeated DePaul 4-0 and came back in the afternoon to defeat Murray State 6-1.
The Hoosiers (7-2) took all but one singles match on the day. Paul Jacobson and Milan Rakvica each went 2-0. Jacobson defeated DePaul's Robert Kurek 6-3,6-4 and Murray State's Raoul Bax 7-5,6-2. Rakvica posted wins over DePaul's Rory McKinney 6-4,7-6 and Murray State's Sebastian Venjar 4-0, ret. Joey Balsiger picked up a win in the DePaul match, as he defeated Neil Johnston 6-4,7-5. Gabriel Montilla, George McGill and Brendan Storey were all victorious over Murray State.
In doubles, the Hoosiers captured the doubles point in both matches by taking two out of the three matches. Ian Arons and Ricardo Jordan were victorious in both their matches. Against DePaul, they defeated Kurek and Johnson 8-2 and they finished the day off with a win over Chris Hayden and Caeser Schwartz 8-4. Montilla and McGill defeated DePaul's team of John Cheregi and Greg Tranquada 8-5. Rakvica and Jacobson defeated Murray State's team of Bax and Schwartz 8-4.
The Hoosiers will try and extend their winning streak to six this Monday with a match against #24 Notre Dame in South Bend, Indiana.
Indiana vs. DePaul
4. Paul Jacobson (IU) d. Robert Kurek (DU) 6-3,6-4
5. Milan Rakvica (IU) d. Rory McKinney (DU) 6-4,7-6
6. Joey Balsiger (IU) d. Neil Johnston (DU) 6-4,7-5
1. Gabriel Montilla/George McGill (IU) d. John Cheregi/Greg Tranquada (DU) 8-5
2. Andreas Morfeladakis/McKinney (DU) d. Jacobson/Rakvica (IU) 8-6
3. Ian Arons/Ricardo Jordan (IU) d. Kurek/Johston (DU) 8-2
Indiana vs. Murray State
1. Nikola Aracic (MS) d. Ian Arons (IU) 6-1,6-4
2. Gabriel Montilla (IU) d. Tony Hardner (MS) 6-3,6-2
3. George McGill (IU) d. Chris Hayden (MS) 6-2,6-2
4. Paul Jacobson (IU) d. Raoul Bax (MS) 7-5,6-2
5. Milan Rakvica (IU) d. Sebastian Venjar (MS) 4-0,ret.
6. Brendan Storey (IU) d. Caeser Schwartz (MS) 7-5,6-2
1. Aracic/Hardman (MS) d. Montilla/Rahman Smiley (IU) 8-5
2. Jacobson/Rakvica (IU) d. Bax/Darius Schwartz (MS) 8-4
3. Arons/Ricardo Jordan (IU) d. Hayden/Caeser Schwartz (MS) 8-4
Check back soon