Post Second-Straight Shutout
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. - For the second-straight day, the No. 62 Indiana men's tennis team posted a shutout win of 7-0. The Hoosiers won all three doubles matches and the six singles contests en route to a victory over Toledo on Sunday afternoon. Both teams are now 6-8 on the year.
"The team has done a good job. We have been very focused the last two days," Indiana head coach Ken Hydinger said. "We have played in not the most ideal conditions. It was a little cold and breezy these last two days outside, but we responded well, and have had some very consistent performances"
The No. 2 doubles team of senior Jakub Praibis and junior Dmytro Ishtuganov, ranked 57th, defeated junior Tony Tran and sophomore Travis Curran, 8-2, for the first tandem win of the day. The IU duo pushed its overall mark to 13-4 and 11-3 in dual action.
The Hoosiers clinched the doubles point with an 8-3 victory from senior Ryan Recht and junior John Stone over sophomores Josh Moran and Brian Rager at the top position. Senior Tom Bagnato and junior Neil Kenner completed the Cream and Crimson sweep with an 8-5 conquest against senior Freddy Gomez and junior Cristobal Toral.
Praibis, ranked 56th in the country, won his match at the top singles position, 6-2, 6-2, over Tran. He is now 15-7 overall and 11-3 at the No. 1 slot this spring.
Recht bested Moran, 6-3, 6-2 at No. 2, and sophomore David Bubenicek downed freshman Chris Clark, 7-5, 6-0, at No. 3. Bubenicek improved to 14-4 on the year and 10-1 in 2005.
Kenner won 6-3, 6-4 over Curran at No. 4, Ishtuganov bested Gomez, 6-0, 6-3, at No. 5, and Bagnato capped the singles sweep with a 6-1, 6-4 win over Toral at No. 6.
The Hoosiers will return to the IU Varsity tennis Courts on Monday, March 21, against Vincennes. The match is slated to begin at 3 p.m., and it will be the third match in as many days for IU.
No. 62 Indiana 7, Toledo 0
IU Varsity Tennis Courts
1. #56 Jakub Praibis (IU) def. Tony Tran (UT) 6-3, 6-2
2. Ryan Recht (IU) def. Josh Moran (UT) 6-3, 6-2
3. David Bubenicek (IU) def. Chris Clark (UT) 7-5, 6-0
4. Neil Kenner (IU) def. Travis Curran (UT) 6-3, 6-4
5. Dmytro Ishtuganov (IU) def. Freddy Gomez (UT) 6-0, 6-3
6. Tom Bagnato (IU) def. Cristobal Toral (UT) 6-1, 6-4
1. John Stone/Ryan Recht (IU) def. Brian Rager/Josh Moran (UT) 8-3
2. #57 Jakub Praibis/Dmytro Ishtuganov (IU) def. Travis Curran/Tony Tran (UT) 8-2
3. Neil Kenner/Tom Bagnato (IU) def. Freddy Gomez/Cristobal Toral (UT) 8-5
Check back soon