Beat Northwestern, 4-3
EVANSTON, Ill. - The No. 54 Indiana men's tennis team won its fifth match in a row with a 4-3 Big Ten win over No. 64 Northwestern on Saturday afternoon in the Vandy Christie Tennis Center. With the win, the Hoosiers improve to 9-8 overall and 3-1 in the league, while the Wildcats fall to 6-10 on the season and 1-3 in conference play.
"This was a big win for us," Indiana head coach Ken Hydinger said. "The doubles point was key in the match. The No. 2 and 3 teams played well, they really rolled today."
The Cream and Crimson claimed the crucial doubles point, as the teams split the singles matches, en route to the win.
In doubles action, senior Jakub Praibis and junior Dmytro Ishtuganov bested senior Justin Hoeveler and junior Adam Schaechterle 8-6 at the No. 2 position. The IU duo is now 16-4 overall and 14-3 in dual action.
The Hoosiers clinched the point with a win from the combination of Dara McLoughlin and Michael McCarthy at No. 3. The freshmen pair beat sophomores Willy Lock and Willy Tempke by the margin of 8-4.
In singles competition, Praibis continued his winning ways with a 6-2, 6-3 conquest over Hanus at the top position. The Czech Republic, product is 18-7 overall and 14-3 this spring.
IU secured the match with victories from junior Neil Kenner at No. 5, and senior Tom Bagnato at No. 6.
The Hoosiers will return to the courts on Sunday, April 3 for a Big Ten showdown against Wisconsin. The match is slated to begin at noon.
#54 Indiana 4, #64 Northwestern 3
Vandy Christie Tennis Center
1. #39 Jakub Praibis (IU) def. Tommy Hanus (NW) 6-2, 6-3
2. Christian Tempke (NW) def. Ryan Recht (IU) 7-5, 6-3
3. Chuck Perrin (NW) def. David Bubenicek (IU) 6-2, 7-6 (5)
4. Willy Lock (NW) def. Michael McCarthy (IU) 6-3, 6-1
5. Neil Kenner (IU) def. Adam Schaechterle (NW) 6-2, 6-3
6. Tom Bagnato (IU) def. Matt Christian (NW) 6-1, 6-4
1. Tommy Hanus/Chuck Perrin (NW) def. #56 Ryan Recht/John Stone (IU) 8-3
2. Jakub Praibis/Dmytro Ishtuganov (IU) def. Justin Hoeveler/Adam Schaechterle (NW) 8-6
3. Dara McLoughlin/Michael McCarthy (IU) def. Willy Lock/Christian Tempke (NW) 8-4
Indiana 9-8, 3-1; National ranking #54
Northwestern 6-10, 1-3; National ranking #64
Check back soon