Hoosiers Drop Close One To Minnesota 4-3
April 3, 1999 Hoosiers Drop Close One To Minnesota 4-3
Bloomington, IN-The men's tennis team was unable to pick up a win in one of two three-set matches, as they fell to #36 Minnesota today.
The Hoosiers (10-6, 2-2 Big Ten) took an early 1-0 lead by taking all three doubles matches. At No. 1, Gabriel Montilla and Rahman Smiley battled their way to a 9-8(10) victory over Tom Chicoine and Martin Michalowski. At No. 2, Paul Jacobson and Milan Rakvica were victorious over Adam Selkirk and Tyson Parry 8-5. Ian Arons and Ricardo Jordan defeated Ryan Davies and Thomas Haug, at No. 3.
The Hoosiers took a 3-2 lead after the first four singles matches. George McGill made short work of Selkirk 6-2,6-1 at No. 3. At No. 4, Rakvica picked up his 11th straight win by pulling out a win over Michalowski 7-5,7-6. The Hoosiers, however, dropped the last two matches as Smiley and Jacobson could not take advantage of early one-set advantages.
Head Coach Ken Hydinger said, "Minnesota is a good team. We got down to two three-setters, but we couldn't get the job done."
The Hoosiers will continue their Big Ten season next week with two home matches. On Saturday, Michigan comes to town for a noon match. Then Michigan State comes in for a noon match on Sunday.
1. Tom Chicone (UM) def. Ian Arons (IU) 6-3,6-2
2. Tyson Parry (UM) def. Gabriel Montilla (IU) 6-3,7-6
3. George McGill (IU) def. Adam Selkirk (UM) 6-2,6-1
4. Milan Rakvica (IU) def. Martin Michalowski (UM) 7-5,7-6
5. Jorge Duenas (UM) def. Paul Jacobson (IU) 3-6,7-6,6-4
6. Thomas Haug (UM) def. Rahman Smiley (IU) 6-7,7-6,7-6
1. Smiley/Montilla (IU) def. Chicoine/Michalowski (UM) 9-8
2. Jacobson/Rakvica (IU) def. Selkirk/Parry (UM) 8-5
3. Arons/Ricardo Jordan (IU) def. Ryan Davies/Haug (UM) 8-5
Check back soon