Fall on the Road to OSU
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The No. 56 Indiana men's tennis team dropped a 6-1 Big Ten decision to No. 33 Ohio State on Saturday afternoon at the Stickney Tennis Center. The loss snaps a six-match winning streak for the Hoosiers. IU is now 10-9 on the year and 4-2 in league play, while the Buckeyes improve to 12-6 on the year and 4-1 in conference action.
OSU won all three doubles matches and claimed five of the six singles contests en route to the win.
"Both the No. 2 and No. 3 doubles matches came right down to the end," Indiana head coach Ken Hydinger said. "We thought we had a chance in both of them, but Ohio State came away with the point. They got the job done today."
OSU won the first doubles point as the top-ranked team in the country of juniors Ross Wilson and Scott Green bested senior Ryan Recht and junior John Stone by the score of 8-3. The Buckeyes claimed the tandem mark as sophomore Joey Atas and freshman Drew Eberly downed freshmen Michael McCarthy and Dara McLoughlin at No. 3, 8-6.
Senior Jakub Praibis, ranked 49th, picked up IU's lone point as he defeated his sixth ranked opponent of the year, besting Atas, 53rd in the nation, 1-6, 6-1, 6-2, at the No. 1 position. The Litomerice, Czech Republic, product has beaten 13 ranked foes for his career. Praibis is now 20-7 on the year and 16-3 in dual action this spring.
"Jakub was sick with a sore throat and was really under the weather," Hydinger said. "He got down, lost the first set, but came back and really played some excellent tennis."
After a three-match road trip, the Hoosiers will return home on Saturday, April 16, for a contest against No. 57 Minnesota. The tilt is slated to begin at 11 a.m., and will be on the IU Varsity Tennis Courts.
No. 33 Ohio State 6, No. 56 Indiana 1
Stickney Tennis Center
1. #49 Jakub Praibis (IU) def. #53 Joey Atas (OSU), 1-6, 6-1, 6-2
2. Chris Klingemann (OSU) def. Ryan Recht (IU), 6-3, 6-2
3. #52 Devin Mullings (OSU) def. David Bubenicek (IU), 6-3, 6-2
4. Scott Green (OSU) def. Tom Bagnato (IU), 7-5, 6-0
5. Ross Wilson (OSU) def. John Stone (IU), 7-6, 7-6 (4)
6. Drew Eberly (OSU) def. Dara McLoughlin (IU), 6-3, 6-1
Order of finish: 6, 2, 4, 5, 1, 3
1. #1 Green/Wilson (OSU) def. Recht/Stone (IU), 8-3
2. Klingemann/Dennis Mertens (OSU) def. Dmytro Ishtuganov/Praibis (IU), 9-7
3. Atas/Eberly (OSU) def. Michael McCarthy/McLoughlin (IU), 8-6
Order of finish: 1, 3, 2
Check back soon