Hoosiers Look Strong In Win Against Northwestern
April 18, 1999 Hoosiers Look Strong In Win Against Northwestern
Evanston, IL-The 49th-ranked men's tennis rebounded from yesterday's loss to post a win against #34 Northwestern (9-9, 4-4 Big Ten) 5-2 today.
The Hoosiers (12-8, 4-4) Big Ten) began the day by taking two of the three doubles matches for the doubles point. At No. 2, Milan Rakvica and Paul Jacobson defeated Brad Erickson and Joost Hol 8-4. Ian Arons and Ricardo Jordan posted a win over Jamie Sahara and Derrick Nguyen 8-6.
Indiana kept the momentum going into the singles matches by posting wins in four out of the six matches. The Hoosiers dropped matches at the top two positions, but were able to take the last four positions. At No. 3, George McGill raised his Big Ten record to 8-0 with a win over Martin Bengtsson 2-6,7-6,6-3. Rakvica, playing at the No. 4 position, increased his personal winning streak to 15 matches with a victory over Erickson 6-4,6-4. At No. 5, Jacobson won his 40th career match defeating Sahara 7-5,2-6,7-5. Rahman Smiley pick up a win as he defeated Brian Moss 6-2,6-1.
The Hoosiers will conclude their regular season next weekend with two matches in Bloomington. On Saturday, they will welcome Wisconsin here for a noon match. Then on Sunday, they will wrap the season up with a match against Iowa at noon.
1. Doug Bohaboy (NU) def. Ian Arons (IU) 6-1,6-3
2. Derrick Nguyen (NU) def. Gabriel Montilla (IU) 6-3,6-0
3. George McGill (IU) def. Martin Bengtsson (NU) 2-6,7-6,6-3
4. Milan Rakvica (IU) def. Brad Erickson (NU) 6-4,6-4
5. Paul Jacobson (IU) def. Jamie Sahara (NU) 7-5,2-6,7-5
6. Rahman Smiley (IU) def. Brian Moss (NU) 6-2,6-1
1. Bengtsson/Bohaboy (NU) def. Montilla/Smiley (IU) 8-6
2. Rakvica/Jacobson (IU) def. Erickson/Joost Hol (NU) 8-4
3. Arons/Ricardo Jordan (IU) def. Sahara/Nguyen (NU) 8-6
Check back soon