Stumble at Michigan
ANN ARBOR, Mich. - The No. 57 Indiana men's tennis team dropped a 5-2 Big Ten decision at No. 64 Michigan on Saturday afternoon. The Hoosiers are now 11-11 on the year and 5-4 in league play, while the Wolverines improve to 13-9 overall and 6-3 in conference action.
Michigan claimed the doubles point by taking all three of the matches. The tandem contests were closely contested, as two of the three came down to the 17th game tiebreaker.
Senior Ryan Recht and junior John Stone fell to senior Josef Fischer and sophomore Ryan Heller, 8-3, in the No. 2 doubles match. The Wolverines claimed the point as sophomore Brian Hung and freshman Matko Maravic, ranked 58th in the country, edged senior Jakub Praibis and junior Dmytro Ishtuganov at No. 1 by the score of 9-8 (5). U-M completed the sweep with a 9-8 (5) victory from seniors Vinny Gossain and David Anving over freshman Dara McLoughlin and Michael McCarthy at No. 3.
Michigan grabbed a 2-0 lead in the affair after Hung bested Recht, 6-2, 6-3, at No. 2.
The Hoosiers would square the tilt as sophomore David Bubenicek defeated Heller, 6-2, 6-3, at No. 3, and Stone upended Anving, 6-2, 6-0, at the No. 6 spot. Bubenicek is now 20-6 overall and 15-3 this spring, while Stone moves his season ledger to 15-5 and his spring slate to 12-3.
U-M claimed the final three singles contests en route to the win.
The Hoosiers will return to the courts on Sunday, April 23, for their Big Ten regular season finale at Michigan State. The match is slated to begin at noon.
#64 Michigan 5, #57 Indiana 2
Ann Arbor, Mich.
1. #87 Matko Maravic (UM) def. #57 Jakub Praibis (IU) 6-3, 6-4
2. Brian Hung (UM) def. Ryan Recht (IU) 6-2, 6-3
3. David Bubenicek (IU) def. Ryan Heller (UM) 6-2, 6-3
4. Josef Fischer (UM) def. Neil Kenner (IU) 6-4, 7-5
5. Steve Peretz (UM) def. Tom Bagnato (IU) 7-5, 6-4
6. John Stone (IU) def. David Anving (UM) 6-2, 6-0
1. #58 Brian Hung/Matko Maravic (UM) def. Dmytro Ishtuganov/Jakub Praibis (IU) 9-8 (5)
2. Josef Fischer/Ryan Heller (UM) def. Ryan Recht/John Stone (IU) 8-3
3. Vinny Gossain/David Anving (UM) def. Dara McLoughlin/Michael McCarthy (IU) 9-8 (5)
Indiana 11-11, 5-4 Big Ten; National ranking #57
Michigan 13-9, 6-3 Big Ten; National ranking #64
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (2,3,6,1,5,4)
Check back soon