Setting the Pace With Freshman Justin Soderlund
Oct. 8, 2008
The Wheaton, Ill., native owns personal bests in the 800 (2:00), 1,600 (4:24), 3,200 (9:30) and in the 5,000-meters (15:33). He was named cross country all-conference in his junior and senior seasons. Soderlund competed at the Illinois state cross country championships during his sophomore, junior and senior seasons, leading Wheaton North to 14th, 10th and seventh place finishes, respectively. He qualified for the 3,200-meters at the Illinois state track and field championships during his senior campaign.
The 2006 DuPage Valley Conference cross country champion was a three-time conference all-academic honoree in cross country and a two-time honoree in track. He was named team captain in cross country and track as a junior and senior, and selected to Team Illinois to compete in the 2008 Senior All-Star meet in Cedar Falls, Iowa. Soderlund also competed at the Nike Team Midwest Cross Country Regional as a senior and trained under Olympian and former Hoosier standout Jim Spivey.
Soderlund helped Wheaton North to a conference title for the first time in 18 years and to a No. 2 seed in Illinois and No. 8 nationally. He was a five-time letterwinner.
Setting the Pace with Justin Soderlund
1. If you could visit anywhere in the world, where would you go and why?
2. Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
3. Who has been the biggest influence in your life and why?
4. What is your favorite childhood memory?
5. Something that many people don't know about you is:
I quit soccer when I was in middle school because I didn't like running.
6. The teammate I most admire is who, and why?
7. Name one thing that you wish you were better at?
8. What makes Indiana special from any other program?
9. What do you like best about Coach Helmer?
10. What are your goals for this year?
Check back soon