No. 11 Penn State Overcomes Indiana, 71-63
Feb. 13, 2014
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. - No. 11 Penn State defeated Indiana 71-63 on Thursday night in Assembly Hall. Larryn Brooks led IU with 16 points and Simone Deloach added 13 points and career high tying 15 boards.
Maggie Lucas was the story for Penn State as the senior scored the first nine points for PSU and ended the night with 32 to lead all scorers.
Penn State (19-5, 10-2) jumped ahead 7-0 in the game's first two minutes before IU countered with back-to-back treys from Lyndsay Leikem and Brooks to put the Hoosiers on the board and cut the deficit to one point.
The Lady Lions later opened up a 28-18 lead as IU went over five minutes without scoring before Brooks ended the drought with a layup at the 6:05 mark. Indiana then cut the lead to three points, 30-27, after another Leikem 3-point field goal at the 4:11 mark. Penn State went on to take a 37-31 lead into the locker room.
The Hoosiers started the second half by putting together a 10-0 run to take a 41-37 lead with 16:07 to play. PSU fired back to take a 48-47 advantage with a Lucas jumper with 11:38 on the clock. IU's Nicole Bell came right back with a 3-pointer to give IU a 50-48 lead.
Penn State's Dara Taylor answered with a 3-point field goal at the 9:48 mark to push the visitors back on top 51-50. The Lady Lions built their lead up to 67-57 before IU scored six straight to pull within four with 44 seconds to play.
That was as close as Indiana would get as PSU held on for the win.
Deloach achieved her second straight double-double and her fourth of the season. Brooks scored in double figures for the 21st time this season.
IU outscored Penn State 17-4 in second chance points and forced PSU into 18 turnovers and converted them into 23 points off of those turnovers.
Indiana will next hit the road to take on No. 21/19 Nebraska in Lincoln on Sunday, Feb. 16. That game will tip at 1 p.m. ET live on BTN.
• Indiana's bench outscored the Penn State bench 16-6.
• The Hoosiers played at a fast pace and finished the game with a 10-0 advantage in fast break points.
• Indiana forced Penn State into 18 turnovers and converted them into 23 points for a 23-11 edge in points off turnovers.
• Freshman Larryn Brooksled the Hoosiers with 16 points and has now scored in double-figures in 21 of the Hoosiers 24 games. She also dished out four assists.
• Senior Simone Deloachscored 13 points and tied her career-high with 15 rebounds for her second consecutive double-double and fourth of the season. Deloach has 27 points and 29 rebounds combined in her last two games.
• Freshman Lyndsay Leikemcame off the bench to score nine points for the Hoosiers. Leikem is averaging 10.3 points and 6.0 rebounds per game over IU's last four games.
• Senior Tabitha Gerardotscored seven points for Indiana.
Check back soon