Aug 28, 2013
|GAMES 1-2: Indiana at No. 10 Duke (0-0)/vs. No. 17 Drexel (0-0)
||Friday, Aug. 30, 2013 | Saturday, Aug. 31, 2013
||3 p.m. ET | 3 p.m. ET
||Williams Field at Jack Katz Stadium | Durham, N.C.
| Live Stats
| Game Notes
||IU vs. Duke/Drexel
| Social Media
FOR THE 14TH TIME
The Last Meeting
August 28, 2011
Field Hockey Beats No. 15 Duke in OT, 3-2
Box Score | After leading the Indiana Field Hockey team to a season-opening win with two goals on Friday, Morgan Fleetwood scored two more on Sunday, Aug. 28, to lead the Hoosiers to a 3-2 win over No. 15 Duke in Bloomington. Fleetwood netted the first goal for IU in the 34th minute and scored the game-winner in the 83rd minute. Brooke Borneman also scored a goal for IU in the 48th minute.
The Indiana field hockey program will open up its 14th season of action this weekend with a pair of games in Durham, N.C. The Hoosiers will take on host Duke on Friday before playing Drexel on Saturday afternoon.
A LOOK AT THE BLUE DEVILS
Indiana opens up the 2013 season with No. 10-ranked Duke who will be hosting the Hoosiers in their season opener this weekend. The Blue Devils finished last season at 7-11 with an 0-5 mark in the ACC.
Friday's contest with Duke marks just the second meeting between the two schools. The two previously met in 2011 when IU topped then-ranked No. 15 Duke in Bloomington 3-2 in overtime.
FACING THE DRAGONS
Indiana will face No. 17-ranked Drexel for the first time in program history on Saturday. The Dragons, who went 15-7 in 2012, won the CAA Conference Championship last season and earned a bid to the NCAA Tournament where they fell to Princeton in the opening round, 5-0.
On August 24, the Hoosiers hosted Louisville in exhibition play at the IUFH Complex. The two teams faced off in two 25-minute periods followed by a 20-minute session. Both squads then went into a simulated 10-minute overtime period follwed by two shootout rounds - a best of five scenario and a sudden victory round.
Both teams ended in a 4-4 tie through the first three rounds and overtime and split in the shootout rounds.
After Louisville opened up the game with a goal in the ninth minute of play, the Hoosiers answered with Kate Barber's score in the 14th minute. Kayla Cunningham put Indiana ahead 2-1 in the second 25-minute session, but the Cardinals would net two unanswered to take a 4-2 lead. In the 73rd minute, Audra Heilman found Corinne Karch who found the back of the cage and bring Indiana within one. In the simulated overtime period, IU's Mollie Getzfread found the ball off the rebound and fired it back between the posts to tally the "game-winner." From there, the two teams went into a best-of-five shootout where Louisville would outscore the Hoosiers 3-2, but Indiana would take the sudden victory round as the Cardinals could not answer Heilman's make in IU's first try.
SIX JOIN THE MIX
The Hoosiers welcome six new faces to the 2013 roster this year. Kate Barber, Kayla Cunningham, Morgan Dye, Malia Fujisawa, Katie Johnson, Hannah McDermott will don the Cream and Crimson uniform in their first collegiate season this fall.
A trio of Hoosiers were selected to serve as captains for the 2013 season. Hannah Boyer, Audra Heilman and Maggie Olson were chosen by their teammates to fill the role of captain this fall.
The Indiana field hockey team will be featured on the Big Ten Network at least twice during the regular season, the Network announced on Monday, Aug. 12.
The Hoosiers' home contest with Michigan State on Friday, October 3 will be aired on BTN at 3 p.m. ET as well as Indiana's 3 p.m. ET October 18 home matchup with Northwestern.
- Indiana returns 16 letterwinners for the 2013 campaign, including 2012 All-Big Ten selections Audra Heilman and Hannah Boyer.
- Audra Heilman, Hannah Boyer and Danielle McNally were all named to the 2013 Big Ten Players to Watch list.
- The returning members of this year's team accounted for 80 out of 118 points tallied in 2012.
- Audra Heilman and Sydney Supica each participated in the U.S. Field Hockey Under-21 Women's National Championship this summer in Norvolk, Va.
- Indiana's regular season home opener is slated for Friday, Sept. 6 against Saint Louis, where IU assistant coach Kate Lipton spent the past three seasons as an assistant coach.
- There are six newcomers on the team, each hailing from California, Missouri, New Jersey, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Ireland.
- In the latest NFHCA Poll, six opponents on the Hoosiers' 2013 slate appear this week, including both Duke and Drexel who IU is set to face in its opening weekend of action.