Oct. 3, 2013
The Last Meeting
September 28, 2012
East Lansing, Mich.
The Last Meeting
September 7, 2012
Hoosiers Beat Louisville, 3-2, in OT
Box Score | The Indiana field hockey team improved to 4-0 with a 3-2 overtime win against Louisville in Bloomington on Friday, Sept. 7. Morgan Fleetwood netted two goals, including the game-winner, while Nicole Volgraf knotted the game with IU's second goal of the day.
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. - The Indiana field hockey team will continue Big Ten conference play this Friday, Oct. 4 with Michigan State at the IUFH Complex. The 3 p.m. ET game with the Spartans will also be broadcasted live on the Big Ten Network.
The Hoosiers will close out the weekend in Louisville, Ky. to take on No. 17-ranked Louisville on Sunday, Oct. 6. Game time is slated for 1 p.m. ET.
The Hoosiers will close its eight-game homestand this Friday with visiting Michigan State. The eight consecutive home contests is the longest homestretch in program history. Through the Hoosiers past seven games in Bloomington, they have posted a notable 6-1 record at the IUFH Complex including six-straight victories highlighted by three consecutive shutouts.
LAST TIME OUT
The Hoosiers went 1-1 last weekend with a win over Miami (Ohio) on Friday, Sept. 27 before falling to No. 8 ranked Penn State in IU’s the Big Ten opener.
IU’s 3-2 win over Miami (Ohio) was Indiana’s fourth-straight over the RedHawks in the all-time series and extended the Hoosiers’ win streak to six games. Goals from Audra Heilman, Caitlin Bearish and Mariella Grote helped lift IU over Miami, while goalkeeper Maggie Olson made five saves in net for Indiana.
The 4-0 loss to Penn State set the Hoosiers back to 0-1 in Big Ten play and snapped Indiana’s win streak. Despite the loss, Olson tied a career-high nine saves against the Nittany Lions, tying her previous nine-save effort against No. 15 Northwestern in the 2011 campaign.
SET WITH THE SPARTANS
Michigan State will visit Bloomington donning a 4-6 record on the 2013 season. The Spartans are now 1-0 in B1G action after picking up a 2-0 over Ohio State in their conference opener.
The Hoosiers will face the Spartans for the 18th time in program history, with MSU leading the all-time series, 2-15; however, both wins over the Spartans occured in Bloomington where both dquads are set to meet this Friday. The two programs last met in 2012 when Indiana fell to Michigan State on the road, 3-0.
LOOKING AT LOUISVILLE
Indiana travels to Louisville this Sunday, October 6 and will play the Cardinals for the 13th time in program history. Louisville holds a 5-7 advantage in the all-time series, but Indiana has taken the previous 3-of-4 matches including last year’s 3-2 overtime in Bloomington.
The Cardinals are currently ranked 17th in the country after posting an 8-2 record and 2-0 mark in conference games.
With Indiana’s 3-2 win over Miami (Ohio) on Sept. 27, the Hoosiers won six straight games. The unbeaten streak is the longest since the 2009 season, when Indiana won seven consecutive contests from Oct. 10-Nov. 6 that year.
NOTHIN’ IN THE NET
The Indiana backfield did a fine job of thwarting opposing team’s offensive efforts a five-game stretch, not allowing a single goal between the 56th minute of the Aug. 31 game with Drexel and the 67th minute of Sept. 15’s matchup with Robert Morris, a total time of 256:00 minutes.
THIRD TIME’S A CHARM
With an 11-0 win over Saint Louis, a 3-0 victory over Radford and a 3-0 blanking of Missouri State, Indiana posted three consecutive shutout wins for the first time since 2003. Those three consecutive shutouts made Maggie Olson the first IU goalkeeper in program history to earn three shutouts in three consecutive starts. Olson’s three shutouts also tie the program’s single season record for shutouts in a single campaign.
- Audra Heilman is second in the Big Ten in points per game with an average of 2.22 through nine contests, and her 20 points also ranks second in the B1G. Her six goals ranks for a share of fifth in the conference and her six assists are tied for third-most.
- Maggie Olson currently leads the Big Ten in save percentage (.750) and saves per game (4.67), while her 42 saves are second amonst B1G goalkeepers.
- Karen Lorite has recorded three game-winning goals, good for a share of second-best in the Big Ten conference.
- Emily Bowker’s 0.44 assists per game ties for ninth-most in the B1G.
- Indiana returns 16 letterwinners for the 2013 campaign, including 2012 All-Big Ten selections Audra Heilman and Hannah Boyer.
- Audra Heilman, Hannah Boyer and Danielle McNally were all named to the 2013 Big Ten Players to Watch list.
- The returning members of this year’s team accounted for 80 out of 118 points tallied in 2012.
- Audra Heilman and Sydney Supica each participated in the U.S. Field Hockey Under-21 Women’s National Championship this summer in Norvolk, Va.
- Indiana’s regular season home opener is slated for Friday, Sept. 6 against Saint Louis, where IU assistant coach Kate Lipton spent the past three seasons as an assistant coach.
- There are six newcomers on the team, each hailing from California, Missouri, New Jersey, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Ireland.
- In the latest NFHCA Poll, seven opponents on the Hoosiers’ 2013 slate appear this week.