Women's Soccer

    Late Hoosier Rally Nets 1-1 Tie with Purdue

    Go Hoosiers! Jocelyn Moses' second goal of the season came with less than four minutes left in regulation to give Indiana a 1-1 tie with Purdue.
    Go Hoosiers!
    Jocelyn Moses' second goal of the season came with less than four minutes left in regulation to give Indiana a 1-1 tie with Purdue.
    Go Hoosiers!

    Oct. 17, 2008

    Final Stats

    BLOOMINGTON, Ind. - Jocelyn Moses found the back of the net with less than four minutes left in regulation and the Indiana defense held strong in overtime to play Purdue to a 1-1 tie Friday night at Armstrong Stadium.

    Trailing 1-0 as the clock wound down in regulation, Indiana (5-10-1, 0-6-1 Big Ten) got the score it was looking for from Moses at 86:31. Carly Samp sent a thru ball to Moses, and the speedy sophomore raced past her marker and slotted the ball to the far left post for the score.

    After a scoreless first half, the Boilermakers (10-4-3, 4-1-2 Big Ten) struck first on a score from Kellie Phillips at 49:02. The sequence began with a shot from Loredana Riverso that was stopped by IU goalkeeper Lindsay Campbell. Campbell was unable to hang onto the ball and it squirted to the foot of Phillips who poked it past the net minder for the score.

    Indiana came out as the aggressor in the first overtime period, with Kristin Arnold putting up a header at 93:33 that was just off target. Samp nearly had her second assist of the match in the 99th minute as she played a ball back to Arnold, who sent her shot wide. The Hoosiers finished with a 3-0 shot advantage in the period.

    Purdue took five shots to Indiana's one in the second overtime but was never really a threat as Campbell was forced to make just one save on an attempt from Riverso with 1:47 remaining.

    The Boilermakers controlled possession for most of the first half, beginning with a shot from Sylvia Forbes just outside the 18 that sailed high in the eighth minute. Riverso had a shot at 19:36 which elicited a split-second reaction save from Campbell. Phillips got a second look with the ball in the same sequence but aimed high.

    The most dangerous PU chance came with 13:18 to play in the first half as Felicia Schroeder found herself alone in front of the net with Campbell out of position. Schroeder struggled to get her foot on the ball, allowing the IU defenders to sweep in and block the attempt.



    Indiana took just four shots in the first half but used its chances wisely, forcing three saves from Purdue goalkeeper Jenny Bradfisch. In the 14th minute Devon Beach played a ball to Moses in the middle of the 18, setting up a direct shot which was stopped by Bradfisch.

    At 35:53, Beach took a shot from about 35 yards out which looked harmless at the start but began to curl toward the net, forcing a leaping save by Bradfisch. Not even three minutes later Arnold collected a thru ball from Samp, but the Purdue defender was right on her and got between the ball and Arnold to allow for an easy pick-up by Bradfisch.

    Purdue took seven shots to the Hoosiers' five in the second period, none of which was a serious scoring threat as it worked to protect its one-goal lead. Indiana continued to fight into the final minutes, allowing for Moses to come up with the equalizer with 3:29 to play.

    Campbell had a solid night between the pipes with eight saves, including four in the second period. Beach led Indiana with four shots, followed by three from Moses.

    Indiana is back in action this weekend as it plays host to Illinois Sunday at 2 p.m. The match will be broadcast live on the Big Ten Network.


      Check back soon
      Indiana Sports Properties