Women's Soccer

    IU Loses Heartbreaker to Purdue To End Season

    Go Hoosiers!
    Go Hoosiers!

    Go Hoosiers!
    News Update

    November 6, 2003

    IU Suffers Disappointing Loss to End Season

    Box Score

    1!-- ... -->

    Madison, Wis.—The Indiana women’s soccer season came to an end after suffering a heartbreaking loss to intrastate rival, Purdue in the opening round of the Big Ten Tournament, Thursday afternoon at the McClimon Soccer Complex. The Hoosiers played their hearts out, with several chances to score, but Courtney Coppedges’ goal at the 37:10 mark was enough to capture the win for the Boilermakers and push them into the second round of the tournament. The Hoosiers finish off the season at 8-10-1 overall and 4-5-1 in conference play. With the win, Purdue finishes at 11-4-3 overall and 6-2-2 in the Big Ten.

    In an attempt to create more scoring opportunities, head coach Mick Lyon shook things up a little, allowing sophomore Andrea White her first career start and starting sophomore Robin Barker for the second time in her career. Both were productive on offense, challenging many of their opponents and getting several good looks at the net.

    The Cream and Crimson controlled the ball from the get-go and for the majority of the game. Just 10 minutes into the match, Emily Hotz and first-team All-Big Ten honoree, Kim Grodek tried to put something together but came up just short. Hotz was able to get a high foot on the ball that came sailing into the box, pushing the ball towards Grodek. Grodek then lunged forward, and fought to get a head on it, but the ball went wide, rolling past the right side of the far post and falling inches short.

    Annette Kent gave the Hoosiers their first good scare when she blasted a shot towards first-half starter, Shaunna Daugherty at the 18:30 mark. The ball hit the bottom part the cross bar and went straight down falling just shy of the goal line.

    A similar situation arose at the 19 minutes later, but this time the ball would cross the line, fall into the back of the net and put Purdue up, 1-0. Kent booted a powerful shot again towards an eagerly awaiting Coppedge inside the 18. Coppedge, who was in scoring position, rebounded the ball off the crossbar, and walked it into the net.

    The second half saw plenty of action as the Hoosiers fought hard to tie the game. Megan Pipkens broke out early, beating three Purdue defenders down the middle and attempting a shot that went wide of the goal post. Kristen Zmijewksi also had a nice play with 18 minutes to go that forced Purdue keeper Lauren Mason out of the net. Zmijewksi crossed the ball perfectly into the middle, but no Hoosier could get close enough to get a foot on it. As the clock ticked down, Pipkens exploded towards the net and challenged Mason in a one on one situation. Pipkens sidestepped and tried to get around Mason but Mason reached out her arm and stopped the ball before it could get any further.

    In the end, Purdue held an 11-7 shooting advantage over the Hoosiers.

    Daugherty and Stacey Van Boxmeer split time in net, combining for five saves.




      Check back soon
      Indiana Sports Properties