Two Records in Two Days for Hoosiers at B1G Championships
Feb. 21, 2013
MINNEAPOLIS, Minn. - Junior Lindsay Vrooman smashed the Big Ten record in the 500 freestyle to highlight day two of the 2013 Big Ten Women's Swimming and Diving Championships at the University Aquatic Center in Minneapolis, Minn.
The Hoosiers currently sit in second place with a score of 211.5 Minnesota leads the field with 303.5 points, followed by Penn State (175), Purdue (142.5) and Ohio State (132) in the top five.
Vrooman led the 500 freestyle from start to finish for her winning time of 4:35.41. That is a new Big Ten record as she is the first swimmer in conference history to dip below the 4:36 mark. She tops the old Big Ten record of 4:36.23, set by Minnesota's Ashley Steenvoorden in 2012. She also surpasses the old IU record of 4:26.61 set by Nikki White in 2009. Also in the championship final, freshman Haley Lips placed fifth in a career best 4:41.48. Freshman Taylor O'Brien was eighth with a time of 4:45.50.
That is the second B1G record of the meet for Vrooman. She was also part of the 800 free relay Wednesday night that set a new conference mark with a time of 6:59.48.
In the morning prelims, Vrooman posted a then-career-best time of 4:38.40. That is now the fourth-fastest time in school history. Also in prelims, Madelon Webb knocked more than 10 seconds off her previous career best, tallying a time of 4:53.95 to finish fourth in her heat and 34th overall. Guinevere Vanden Noort went a career-best 4:54.93 to finish second in her heat and 38th overall. Shelby Carroll was also second in her heat, posting a time of 4:58.49 to place 46th in the rankings.
Sophomore Dorina Szekeres finished fifth in the 200 individual medley championship final, clocking a time of 1:58.76. In morning prelims she went a career best 1:57.91, making her the third-fastest qualifier. Freshman Brooklynn Snodgrass joined her in the final, finishing seventh in 1:59.33. Snodgrass went a career best 1:59.19 in prelims.
In the morning session, Bronwyn Pasloski placed 18th (2:00.88), while Allie Day was 19th with a career time of 2:00.98. Brenna MacLean finished 30th (2:01.80), with Ashley Specht (48th-2:04.18) and Rachel Thompson (77th-2:07.12) putting up career-best times.
Sophomore Sara Delay placed seventh in the consolation final and 15th overall in the 50 freestyle with a time of 22.98. She qualified for her evening swim after finishing 15th in prelims with a time of 22.93. Siri Kristiansen placed 57th overall with a career-best time of 23.90, while Allie Lamberson also posted a career best, finishing 68th in 24.10.
All three Hoosiers finalists on the 1-meter springboard put up career best scores, led by a third-place finish from junior Kate Hillman with her tally of 320.55. Senior Amy Cozad was fourth with a career-best score of 317.15, while senior Cassidy Kahn made the most of her first championship appearance with a seventh-place finish (298.70). In prelims, Katie Bittner placed 28th with her score of 251.00.
Competition continues Friday beginning at 12 p.m. ET with prelims in the 400 individual medley, 100 butterfly, 200 freestyle, 100 breaststroke, 100 backstroke and 3-meter diving.
200 Freestyle Relay
1. Lindsay Vrooman - 4:35.41 (Big Ten Record, NCAA A Cut) (4:38.40 prelims; 4th-fastest time in school history)
5. Haley Lips - 4:41.48 (Career Best, NCAA B Cut) (4:44.51 prelims)
8. Taylor O'Brien - 4:45.50 (4:42.78 prelims; Career Best, NCAA B Cut)
34. Madelon Webb - 4:53.95 (Career Best)
38. Guinevere Vanden Noort - 4:54.93 (Career Best)
46. Shelby Carroll - 4:58.49
200 Individual Medley
5. Dorina Szekeres - 1:58.76 (1:57.91 prelims; Career Best, NCAA B Cut)
7. Brooklynn Snodgrass - 1:59.33 (1:59.19 prelims; Career Best, NCAA B Cut)
18. Bronwyn Pasloski - (2:00.88 prelims; NCAA B Cut)
19. Allie Day - (2:00.98 prelims; Career Best; NCAA B Cut)
30. Brenna MacLean (2:01.80)
48. Ashley Specht - 2:04.18 (Career Best)
77. Rachel Thompson - 2:07.12 (Career Best)
15. Sara Delay - 22.98 (22.93 prelims; NCAA B Cut)
57. Siri Kristiansen - 23.90 (Career Best)
68. Allie Lamberson - 24.10 (Career Best)
3. Kate Hillman - 320.55 (Career Best) (301.65 prelims)
4. Amy Cozad - 317.15 (Career Best) (289.85 prelims)
7. Cassidy Kahn - 298.70 (Career Best)(289.90 prelims)
28. Katie Bittner - 251.00
Check back soon