Day 1 of NCAA Zone Diving
March 13, 2014
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Indiana University senior diver Darian Schmidt won the men's 3-meter springboard competition to book his ticket to the NCAA Swimming and Diving Championships after day one of the NCAA Zone C Diving Championships in Columbus, Ohio.
Schmidt finished the 12-round event with a score of 794.20. He led after prelims, tallying a score of 368.50 in the first six rounds. Emad Abdelatif was sixth with a score of 676.90, followed by Joshua Arndt in seventh (674.50). Danton Rogers was 13th (638.50) and Andrew Hull 14th (619.75) George Andrews placed 21st overall after a score of 234.80 in prelims.
In the women's 1-meter springboard competition, Kate Hillman finished 13th overall with a score of 546.10. Hillman was 16th after prelims, putting up a score of 263.50.
Qualifying continues tomorrow with the women's 3-meter and men's 1-meter competitions.
Eight men and nine women from Zone C will qualify for the NCAA Championships. Below is the order of priority for earning a spot at the NCAA meet. Those in bold have earned a spot.
1. Winner of Platform
2. Winner of Three-meter - Darian Schmidt, Indiana/
3. Winner of One-meter - Casey Matthews, Purdue/
4. Second-place Three-meter - Jamie Bissett, Purdue/
5. Second-place One-meter - Wenting Zhang, Illinois St./
6. Third-place Three-meter - Greg Ferrucci, Kentucky/
7. Third-place One-meter - Kaixuan Zhang, Southern Ill./
8. Second-place Platform
9. Fourth-place Three-meter - Stephen Ettienne, Ohio St./
10. Fourth-place One-meter - Christa Cabot, Kentucky/
11. Fifth-place Three-meter - Joseph Coumos, Notre Dame/
12. Third-place Platform
13. Fifth-place One-meter - Carey Chen, Michigan/
14. Sixth-place Three-meter - Emad Abdelatif, Indiana/
15. Sixth-place One-meter - Lindsey Streepey, Notre Dame/
16. Fourth-place Platform
17. Seventh-place Three-meter - Joshua Arndt, Indiana/
18. Seventh-place One-meter - Danielle Hulvey, Eastern Michigan/
19. Eighth-place Three-meter - Layne Rogers, Purdue/
20. Fifth-place Platform
21. Eighth-place One-meter - Allison Casareto, Notre Dame/
22. Ninth-place Three-meter - Alex Chan, Eastern Michigan/
23. Ninth-place One-meter - Fengting Chen, Southern Illinois/
24. Sixth-place Platform
25. 10th-place Three-meter - Zachary Peterson, Kentucky/
26. 10th-place One-meter - Michelle Cabassol, Purdue/
27. 11th-place Three-meter - Timothy Faerber, Michigan/
28. Seventh-place Platform
29. 11th-place One-meter - Tricia Grant, Oakland/
30. 12th-place Three-meter - Kegan Skelton, Southern Illinois/
31. 12th-place One-meter - Lauren Dark, Eastern Michigan/
Men's 3-Meter 1. Darian Schmidt - 794.20 (368.50 prelims) 6. Emad Abdelatif - 676.90 (341.50 prelims) 7. Joshua Arndt - 674.50 (330.25 prelims) 13. Danton Rogers - 638.50 (308.15 prelims) 14. Andrew Hull - 619.75 (315.00 prelims) 21. George Andrews - 234.80 prelims
Women's 1-Meter 13. Kate Hillman - 546.10 (263.50 prelims)
Check back soon