Jan. 19, 2013
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. - The No. 49 Indiana women's tennis team did not lose a match on Saturday to start the dual schedule 2-0 with wins over Miami (OH) and Cincinnati by scores of 7-0 in each match.
Against the RedHawks in the first match of the day, IU cruised in doubles, giving up just four games total the three matches. Katie Klyczek and Gabrielle Rubenstein blanked Ramona Costea and Chloe Heerden of Miami, 8-0 to start things. Sophie Garre and Leslie Hurea followed to win at No. 1 as Alecia Kauss and Shannon Murdy won at No. 2.
In singles, it was much of the same for the Hoosiers. Klyczek topped Alix Thurman at No. 3, 6-1, 6-2, before Hureau dominated at No. 1, 6-2, 6-1, over Nimisha Mohan. Murdy clinched the match for IU with a win at No. 5, 6-4, 6-0, over Costea.
The Hoosiers kept rolling in the nightcap against Cincinnati. Once again, IU flexed its muscle in doubles winning all three matches.
Hureau did not give up a game as she blanked Jasmine Lee in the No. 1 match, 6-0, 6-0. Klyczek nearly did the same thing topping Caitlin O'Gara, 6-0, 6-1. Kauss (No. 3), Garre (No. 4) and Jithme Jayawickrema (No. 6) all won in straight sets. After dropping the first set, Murdy rallied to top UC's Sierra Sullivan in the No. 5 singles match, 3-6, 6-0, 1-0 (10-5).
The Hoosiers will return to the courts next weekend with three matches in Bloomington beginning with Marquette on Saturday, Jan. 26, at 11 a.m. ET.
No. 49 Indiana 7, Miami (OH) 0
1. Leslie Hureau (IND) def. Nimisha Mohan (MIAMI) 6-2, 6-1
2. Alecia Kauss (IND) def. Christiana Raymond (MIAMI) 4-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-8)
3. Katie Klyczek (IND) def. Alix Thurman (MIAMI) 6-1, 6-2
4. Sophie Garre (IND) def. Christine Guerrazzi (MIAMI) 6-4, 6-0
5. Shannon Murdy (IND) def. Ramona Costea (MIAMI) 6-4, 6-0
6. Jithmie Jayawickrema (IND) def. Chloe Heerden (MIAMI) 7-5, 6-3
1. Sophie Garre/Leslie Hureau (IND) def. Christiana Raymond/Christine Guerrazzi (MIAMI) 8-1
2. Alecia Kauss/Shannon Murdy (IND) def. Nimisha Mohan/Alix Thurman (MIAMI) 8-3
3. Katie Klyczek/Gabrielle Rubenstein (IND) def. Ramona Costea/Chloe Heerden (MIAMI) 8-0
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (3,1,5,4,6,2)
No. 49 Indiana 7, Cincinnati 0
1. Leslie Hureau (IU) def. Jasmine Lee (UC) 6-0, 6-0
2. Katie Klyczek (IU) def. Caitlin O'Gara (UC) 6-0, 6-1
3. Alecia Kauss (IU) def. Ashleigh Witte (UC) 6-1, 6-3
4. Sophie Garre (IU) def. Kelly Poggensee-Wei (UC) 6-2, 6-4
5. Shannon Murdy (IU) def. Sierra Sullivan (UC) 3-6, 6-0 (10-5)
6. Jithmie Jayawickrema (IU) def. Hannah Wille (UC) 6-4, 6-2
1. No. 31 Garre/Hureau (IU) def. Lee/O'Gara (UC) 8-3
2. Kauss/Murdy (IU) def. Witte/Sullivan (UC) 8-1
3. Klyczek/Rubenstein (IU) def. Poggensee-Wei/Woulfe (UC) 8-3