Jan. 26, 2013
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. - The No. 50 Indiana women's tennis team rolled in its win over Marquette on Saturday afternoon, 7-0. The Hoosiers have won all three of their matches so far this season by a 7-0 margin.
In doubles, IU's Leslie Hureau and Sophie Garre teamed up to top Rocio Diaz and Ali Dawson in the No. 1 match, 8-3. Shannan Murdy and Alecia Kauss clinched the doubles point for the Hoosiers with an 8-4 win at No. 3 over Aleeza Kanner and Aina Hernandez Soler. Carolyn Chupa and Katie Klyzcek also picked up a doubles win in the No. 2 match.
In singles, three matches ended in favor of the Hoosiers nearly at the same time to clinch the team victory. At No. 6, Murdy topped Herandez Soler, 6-2, 6-2. Moments later, Klyczek of Indiana defeated Dawson from Marquette in the No. 3 match, 6-2, 6-2. Hureau clinched the match for IU as she dominated at No. 1 over Ana Pimienta, 6-3, 6-0.
Chupa kept the perfect day going for IU with a straight set win over Marquette's Gebes, 6-4, 6-2. Garre won in the No. 5 position over MU's Vanessa Foltinger, 6-3, 6-2. Indiana's Kauss won a first set tiebreaker before eventually taking the match over Diaz, 7-6 (2), 6-3.
The Hoosiers will return to the IU Tennis Center for a double-header on Sunday, Jan. 27, beginning with Western Michigan at 11 a.m. ET and then Butler at 4 p.m. ET.
No. 50 Indiana 7, Marquette 0
1. Leslie Hureau (IU) def. Ana Pimienta (MU), 6-3, 6-0
2. Alecia Kauss (IU) def. Rocio Diaz (MU), 7-6 (2), 6-3
3. Katie Klyczek (IU) def. Ali Dawson (MU), 6-2, 6-2
4. Carolyn Chupa (IU) def. Erin Gebes (MU), 6-4, 6-2
5. Sophie Garre (IU) def. Vanessa Foltinger (MU), 6-3, 6-2
6. Shannon Murdy (IU) def. Aina Hernandez Soler (MU), 6-2, 6-2
1. Hureau/Garre (IU) def. Diaz/Dawson (MU), 8-3
2. Chupa/Klyczek (IU) def. Dawson/Gebes (MU), 8-5
3. Murdy/Kauss (IU) def. Kanner/A. Hernandez (MU), 8-4
Order of finish: Doubles (1, 3, 2); Singles (6, 3, 1, 4, 5, 2)