Feb. 3, 2013
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. - Indiana women's tennis kept its perfect start intact with a win over Marshall on Sunday, 6-1.
Doubles went down the wire, beginning at No. 2 with Carolyn Chupa and Katie Klyczek of IU defeating Ellie Ball and Kara Kucin of Marshall, 8-3. The Thundering Herd evened things with a win at No. 1 as Dominika Zaprazna and Maria Voscekova topped IU's Sophie Garre and Leslie Hureau, 8-4.
It came down to the No. 3 match to determine the doubles point. Indiana's Alecia Kauss and Shannon Murdy and Karlyn Timko and Dana Oppinger of Marshall clinched the point for IU with a 9-7 win.
In singles, IU's Kauss won at No. 3 over Ball of Marshall, 6-1, 6-2. Garre then went on to win for Indiana at No. 3 over Oppinger, 6-2, 6-4. Chupa would then clinch the match for the Hoosiers with a straight-set win over Marshall's Kucin, 7-6, 6-3.
The Hoosiers will play next in Bloomington on Sunday, Feb. 10, for a double-header against Xavier and Ball State.
No. 51 Indiana 6, Marshall 1
1. Leslie Hureau (IU) def. Dominika Zaprazna (MAR) 6-1, 7-5
2. Katie Klyczek (IU) def. Maria Voscekova (MAR) 2-6, 6-4, 10-5
3. Alecia Kauss (IU) def. Ellie Ball (MAR) 6-1, 6-2
4. Sophie Garre (IU) def. Dana Oppinger (MAR) 6-2, 6-4
5. Carolyn Chupa (IU) def. Kara Kucin (MAR) 7-6, 6-3
6. Karlyn Timko (MAR) def. Shannon Murdy (IU) 6-4, 6-1
1. Dominika Zaprazna/Maria Voscekova (MAR) def. #31 Sophie Garre/Leslie Hureau (IU) 8-4
2. Carolyn Chupa/Katie Klyczek (IU) def. Ellie Ball/Kara Kucin (MAR) 8-3
3. Alecia Kauss/Shannon Murdy (IU) def. Karlyn Timko/Dana Oppinger (MAR) 9-7
Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (3,4,5,1,2,6)