Feb. 10, 2013
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. - The No. 51 Indiana women's tennis team has now won eight straight dual matches to start the 2013 season with wins on Sunday over Xavier and Ball State. The Hoosiers topped the Musketeers, 6-1, and then defeated the Cardinals, 7-0.
To begin the day against Xavier, the Hoosiers won all three doubles matches to take the point against the Musketeers.
In singles, Jithme Jayawickrema of IU topped Xavier's Lizzie Oosterbaan in dominant fashion in the No. 6 match, 6-0, 6-1. Shannon Murdy followed suit to pick up IU's next singles victory over Andrea Wolf at No. 5, 6-2, 6-2. Sophie Garre then clinched the match for the home team with a 6-0, 6-3 route of Daniella Patton, 6-0, 6-3. Katie Klyzcek (No. 3) and Leslie Hureau (No. 1) also picked up victories for Indiana.
The second match of the day was much of the same. Alecia Kauss and Murdy won at No. 2 doubles over Bethnay Moore and Kristel Sanders of Ball State, 8-2. Klyczek and Gabrielle Rubenstein then clinched the doubles point for Indiana with an 8-1 triumph over Ayaka Terashi and Paola Rodriguez in the No. 3 match. Garre and Hureau also won in the No. 1 position for IU.
Jayawickrema was triumphant again at No. 6, shutting out BSU's Lauren Pickrel, 6-0, 6-0. Hureau won her No. 1 match over Courtney Wild, 6-1, 6-2. The dual then went in Indiana's favor as Kauss topped Terashi, 6-0, 6-3.
The Hoosiers will hit the road next weekend to take on a pair of SEC foes in Tennessee and Kentucky.
Indiana 6, Xavier 1
1. Leslie Hureau (IU) def. Katie Pleiman (Xav) 6-3, 6-4,
2. Alex Brinker (Xav) def. Alecia Kauss(IU) 6-2, 3-6, 1-0 (10-3)
3. Katie Klyczek (IU) def. Kally Alkire (Xav) 6-0, 7-6 (2)
4. Sophie Garre (IU) def. Daniella Patton (Xav) 6-0, 6-3
5. Shannon Murdy (IU) def. Andrea Wolf (Xav) 6-2, 6-2
6. Jithmie Jayawickrema (IU) def. Lizzie Oosterbaan (Xav) 6-0, 6-1
1. #31 Sophie Garre/Leslie Hureau(IU) def. Kally Alkire/Katie Pleiman(Xav) 8-2
2. Alecia Kauss/Shannon Murdy (IU) def. Alex Brinker/Allyson Westling (Xav) 8-4
3. Katie Klyczek/Gabrielle Rebenstein (IU) def. Daniella Patton/Andrea Wolf (Xav) 8-6
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (6,5,4,3,1,2)
Indiana 7, Ball State 0
1. Leslie Hureau (IU) def. Courtney Wild (BSU) 6-1, 6-2
2. Katie Klyczek (IU) def. Courtney Earnest (BSU) 6-2, 6-2
3. Alecia Kauss (IU) def. Ayaka Terashi (BSU) 6-0, 6-3
4. Sophie Garre (IU) def. Bethany Moore (BSU) 6-4, 6-2
5. Shannon Murdy (IU) def. Kristel Sanders (BSU) 6-4, 6-0
6. Jithmie Jayawickrema (IU) def. Lauren Pickrel (BSU) 6-0, 6-0
1. #31 Sophie Garre/Leslie Hureau(IU) def. Courtney Earnest/Courtney Wild (BSU) 8-2
2. Alecia Kauss/Shannon Murdy (IU) def. Bethany Moore/Kristel Sanders (BSU) 8-2
3. Katie Klyczek/Gabrielle Rebenstein (IU) def. Ayaka Terashi/Paola Rodriguez (BSU) 8-1
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (6,1,3,4,5,2)