March 3, 2013
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. - The Indiana women's tennis team topped No. 66 DePaul and UNC-Wilmington on Sunday afternoon at the IU Tennis Center.
The Hoosiers found themselves on the right side of a 4-3 margin for the first time against the Blue Demons. In doubles, IU (10-3) dropped the No. 2 match, but Alecia Kauss and Shannon Murdy won at No. 3 over Patricia Fargas and Kelsey Lawson of DePaul, 8-2. Indiana's Leslie Hureau and Sophie Garre would clinch the doubles point for the Hoosiers with an 8-5 win at No. 1 over Matea Cutura and Jarrett Fisher.
In singles, Indiana fell short in the top three matches, but in matches No. 4, No. 5 and No. 6 the Hoosiers cruised. Carolyn Chupa (No. 4), Garre (No. 5) and Murdy (No. 6) all won in straight sets to give Indiana the overall team win.
"It feels good to finally beat a ranked team in a close match," head coach Lin Loring said. "I told the team after our 4-3 lost to No. 22 Tennessee that we were playing good tennis and we just had to stick with it and our turn would come to win a close one. Little did I know that every match we have played since has ended 4-3. We didn't know what to expect in doubles because they had three new combinations. They played great at No. 2, but we were pretty much always in control at No. 1 and No. 3."
In the second match of the day, IU dominated UNC-Wilmington, 7-0.
After winning all three doubles matches, Indiana won five of the six singles matches in straight sets. Garre blanked UNCW's Olga Blank in the No. 5 match, 6-0, 6-0. Indiana's Chupa (No. 3) and Murdy (No. 6) each won their respective matches giving up just two games each, clinching the match. Katie Klyczek topped Alyssa Ritch, 6-3, 6-2, at No. 2, before Kauss took the No. 4 match over UNCW's Kelly Cameron, 6-2, 6-4. It took three sets, but Indiana's Hureau outlasted Angie Sekely at No. 1.
"The UNCW match was a real gut check for us," Loring said. "The whole team was coming off being sick this week and we used a lot of energy in our first match. We had to dig deep because they hit a lot of balls back. Many of the scores don't indicate how long the points were. We had two nice wins today."
The Hoosiers will next begin Big Ten play on Saturday, March 9, at Purdue. That match will take place in West Lafayette at 11 a.m. ET.
Indiana 4, No. 66 DePaul 3
1. #85 Matea Cutura (DePaul) def. Leslie Hureau (IU) 7-5, 6-4
2. Patricia Fargas (DePaul) def. Katie Klyczek (IU) 6-4, 7-6
3. Ana Vladutu (DePaul) def. Alecia Kauss 6-4, 6-1
4. Carolyn Chupa (IU) def. Kelsey Lawson (DePaul) 6-4, 6-1
5. Sophie Garre (IU) def. Jarrett Fisher (DePaul) 6-0, 6-2
6. Shannon Murdy (IU) def. Zaina Sufi (DePaul) 6-3, 6-4
1. #44Hureau/Garre (IU) def. Cutura/Fisher (DePaul) 8-5
2. Fargas/Lawson (DePaul) def. Klyczek/Chupa (IU), 8-0
3. Kauss/Murdy (IU) def. Sufi/Vladutu (DePaul), 8-2
Indiana 7, UNC-Wilmington 0
1. Leslie Hureau (IU) def. Angie Sekely (UNCW) 6-7, 7-6, 11-9
2. Katie Klyczek (IU) def. Alyssa Ritchie (UNCW) 6-3, 6-2
3. Carolyn Chupa(IU) def. Christina Riley (UNCW) 6-1, 6-1
4. Alecia Kauss (IU) def. Kelly Cameron (UNCW) 6-2, 6-4
5. Sophie Garre (IU) def. Olga Blank (UNCW) 6-0, 6-0
6. Shannon Murdy (IU) def. Christine Kharkevich (UNCW) 6-2, 6-0
1. Leslie Hureau/Sophie Garre (IU) def. Angie Sekely/Olga Blank (UNCW) 8-2
2. Katie Klyczek/Carolyn Chupa (IU) def. Kelly Cameron/Miller Hales (UNCW) 5-4
3. Alecia Kauss/Shannon Murdy (IU) def. Christine Kharkevich/Alyssa Ritchie (UNCW) 8-0
Order of Finish: Doubles (3,1,2) Singles (5,3,6,2,4,1)