March 9, 2013
WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. - In its opening Big Ten match, the Indiana women's tennis team fell to No. 21 Purdue Saturday on the road, 5-2.
Purdue (7-1, 1-0) started doubles with a win in the No. 2 match. Indiana (10-4, 0-1) responded in the No. 3 doubles match as Alecia Kauss and Shannon Murdy evened things with an 8-4 victory over Tess Bernard-Feigenb and Imogen Golder of Purdue.
The doubles point would be figured out at No. 1 and it took a tiebreaker to decide the outcome. Purdue's Mara Schmidt and Krisztina Kapitany outlasted IU's Leslie Hureau and Sophie Garre, 9-8 (7-4), to give the Boilermakers the first point of the match.
The Boilers went up 2-0 with a win at No. 6 singles before IU's Leslie Hureau put the Hoosiers on the board with a straight-set 6-4, 6-2 victory over Purdue's Lynda Xepoleas in the No. 1 singles match. However, Purdue would win the next two completed matches to clinch the conference win.
Indiana's Garre scored IU's second point with a triumph playing at No. 5 over Purdue's Golder, 2-6, 6-2, 7-5.
The Hoosiers will now head to Las Vegas, Nev., for a week of training during spring break before taking on No. 2 Duke during the trip.
No. 21 Purdue 5, Indiana 2
1. Leslie Hureau (IND) def. Lynda Xepoleas (PUR) 6-4, 6-2
2. Mara Schmidt (PUR) def. Katie Klyczek (IND) 6-4, 6-4
3. Daniela Vidal (PUR) def. Carolyn Chupa (IND) 7-5, 6-4
4. Tess Bernard-Feigenb (PUR) def. Alecia Kauss (IND) 4-6, 6-1, 6-1
5. Sophie Garre (IND) def. Imogen Golder (PUR) 2-6, 6-2, 7-5
6. Gisella Pere (PUR) def. Shannon Murdy (IND) 6-1, 6-0
1. Mara Schmidt/Krisztina Kapitany (PUR) def. #44 Leslie Hureau/Sophie Garre (IND) 9-8 (7-4)
2. Lynda Xepoleas/Daniela Vidal (PUR) def. Carolyn Chupa/Katie Klyczek (IND) 8-3
3. Alecia Kauss/Shannon Murdy (IND) def. Tess Bernard-Feigenb/Imogen Golder (PUR) 8-4
Order of Finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (6,1,3,2,4,5)