Ohio State Denies IU Victory
April 12, 2009
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The #38 Indiana University women's tennis team (13-8, 5-3) had their four-match winning streak snapped on Sunday, dropping a 7-0 decision at #43 Ohio State (13-8, 6-2).
"We have been on the road five of the last six weekends," said Head Coach Lin Loring. "I think that it finally caught up with us. As the saying goes, our tank was empty."
The 7-0 score is a bit misleading as Indiana forced four tiebreakers in the match, coming up short in each of them, as well as two three-setters. The first of those tiebreakers came at third doubles where Myriam Sopel and Lindsey Stuckey fell, 7-5.
Sophomore Charlotte Martin suffered a double heartbreaker at No. 2 singles. The West Midlands, England native came out on the wrong end of tiebreakers in both of her sets against Paloma Escobedo.
Sigrid Fischer opened her singles match with a 6-3 win before falling in three sets at No. 4 singles. Meanwhile, Sopel posted a 7-5 second-set win to force a third frame in the sixth singles contest. With the team outcome already determined, a 10-point tiebreaker then decided Sopel's match. Ohio State's Kelsey Haviland came away with the 10-7 triumph.
"Ohio State played well and won every close set and all the big points," said Loring. "We were very close to making this match a toss-up but every time it got close they pulled away.
1. Christina Keesey/Angela DiPastina (OSU) def. Maria Guerreiro/Katya Zapadalova (IU) 8-3
2. Cami Hubbs/Julie Blackmore (OSU) def. Sigrid Fischer/Charlotte Martin (IU) 8-2
3. Kirsten Flower/Paloma Escobedo (OSU) def. Myriam Sopel/Lindsey Stuckey (IU) 8-7 (7-5)
1. Kirsten Flower (OSU) def. Katya Zapadalova (IU) 6-3, 6-0
2. Paloma Escobedo (OSU) def. Charlotte Martin (IU) 7-6 (3), 7-6 (4)
3. Christina Keesey (OSU) def. Alba Berdala (IU) 7-6 (6), 6-1
4. Angela DiPastina (OSU) def. Sigrid Fischer (IU) 3-6, 6-0, 6-2
5. Julie Blackmore (OSU) def. Lindsey Stuckey (IU) 6-1, 6-3
6. Kelsey Haviland (OSU) def. Myriam Sopel (IU) 6-3, 5-7, 1-0 (10-7)
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (1,5,3,4,6,2)
Indiana returns to Bloomington next weekend for their regular season finale. Two schools from the state of Michigan are on the docket as the Wolverines and Spartans come to town. The Hoosiers are set to face Michigan on Saturday and Michigan State on Sunday, both contests scheduled for 11 a.m. starts.
Check back soon