Tempe, Ariz. The Indiana womens tennis team defeated the University of the Pacific, 6-1, on Saturday. The Hoosiers improve to 4-0, while Pacific drops to 0-2 on the season.
Indiana head coach Lin Loring was pleased with the teams performance today.
Today was a tough match because of it being played outdoors, Loring said. I think it was a lot closer than it would have been if we had played on our own courts. We just need to play better tomorrow, and having played one match outdoors already, I think should help us.
The Hoosiers began the morning winning all three doubles matches. No. 24 Karie Schlukebir and Linda Tran won, 8-1, over Heil and Mrazovic. Sarah Batty and Laura McGaffigan defeated Kostenko and Hizo, 8-5, and Dora Vastag and Cecile Perton defeated Dvorsek and Sakai, 8-4.
The Hoosiers took five out of six in singles. Vastag, Batty, McGaffigan, Schlukebir and Perton all captured singles wins for the Hoosiers.
The Hoosiers continue their road trip when they take on No. 19 Arizona State on Sunday, Feb. 1st at 1 p.m.
No. 36 Indiana- 6, Pacific- 1
1) No. 48 Dora Vastag (IU) def. Katharina Heil (UP); 7-6, 6-2
2) Vana Mrazovic (UP) def. No. 82 Linda Tran (IU); 4-6, 6-4, 1-0 (9)
3) Sarah Batty (IU) def. Natalia Kostenko (UP); 3-6, 6-4, 1-0 (4)
4) Laura McGaffigan (IU) def. Viktoria Hizo (UP); 3-6, 6-0, 6-1
5) Karie Schlukebir (IU) def. Urska Dvorsek (UP); 6-1, 6-2
6) Cecile Perton (IU) def. Nicole Sakai (UP); 6-1, 6-1