Women Fall To #2 Duke
February 12, 1999Women Fall To #2 Duke
Bloomington, Ind.-The Hoosiers, facing their toughest opponent of the season, fell to the 2nd ranked Duke 8-1 today. The Blue Devils were too much for the 37th Hoosiers as they swept the singles and won two out of the three doubles matches.
Despite strong singles play, the Hoosiers were unable to pick up a win and only picked up one set. Zahra Ahamed was able to take Karen Goldstein to a third set before losing 6-4,4-6,7-5. Kelly Blanch lost to the 12th ranked player in the country and last year's player of the year Vanessa Webb 6-3,6-2.
The Hoosiers were able to avoid a shutout with a win at No. 2 doubles. Ahamed and Karie Schlukebir defeated Megan Miller and Erica Biro 8-6. The Hoosiers were also competitive in the other two matches. Jessica Anderson and Amanda Field lost to Kathy Sell and Brooke Siebel 8-4. Blanch and Jennifer Hsia were defeated by Webb and Goldstein 8-2. Webb and Goldstein were coming second place finish at the ITA Indoor Nationals last weekend.
Coach Lin Loring, "I was pleased with the way we played, even thought the scores weren't that close. They are the second ranked team in the nation and everyone who watch the match today knows why."
The Hoosiers will try and rebound from today's loss with another home match Sunday against Clemson. The Hoosiers lost to Clemson last year in South Carolina. The Clemson match will begin at 10 a.m. From the IU Tennis Center.
1. Vanessa Webb (DU) d. Kelly Blanch (IU) 6-3,6-2
2. Kristin Anderson (DU) d. Jessica Anderson (IU) 6-4,6-4
3. Karen Goldstein (DU) d. Zahra Ahamed (IU) 6-4,4-6,7-5
4. Megan Miller (DU) d. Amanda Field (IU) 6-2,6-2
5. Erica Biro (DU) d. Ana Ceretto (IU) 6-2,6-3
6. Kathy Sell (DU) d. Karie Schlukebir (IU) 6-2,6-0
1. Webb/Goldstein (DU) d. Blanch/Jennifer Hsia (IU) 8-2
2. Ahamed/Schlukebir (IU) d. Miller/Biro (DU) 8-6
3. Sell/Brooke Siebel (DU) d. Anderson/Field (IU) 8-4
Check back soon